Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infuriating bill additions

GingerPrince
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've an iPhone and every time I send an sms to somebody, it does that rich preview thing which sends a picture that I'm being charged 54p for. Over 5 quid added to my bill so far this month. 

I tried turning off mms but that means I can't receive any pictures from people as well as blocking me sending them.

Does anyone know of a way to either just stop sending mms or stop that rich url preview?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35950 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

@GingerPrince - all the info on accidental MMS sending and how to set your phone up so it does not inadvertently send an SMS as an MMS because you have put an emoji in there... Guide: Accidental MMS Sending and How to Avoid it 

The guide makes reference to modifying the APN on your phone, info on how to get at the APN on an iPhone here if you need it.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 15

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@GingerPrince 

I would suggest asking on one of the apple specific forums, such as macrumors.com as this seems to have been a feature enhancement by Apple

Try the below

Settings > Notifications > Messages - at bottom turn off Show Previews

Or put the URL in brackets so it doesnt preview it... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@GingerPrince The guide offered above by @pgn suggests you and the people you're exchanging MMS with to download WhatsApp. If you use the app over a WiFi connection you can call, text, send MMS, and video call anyone anywhere in the world who also has the app for free. No brainer. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 15

GingerPrince
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but this completely blocks mms so I can't receive messages either.

Message 5 of 15

GingerPrince
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The older people I'm talking to won't use data based message apps like what's app, messenger, signal, telegram etc 

Message 6 of 15

GingerPrince
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is for notification previews only 

Message 7 of 15

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6605 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

Still think it's best looking at the Apple forums. Far more people there must have encountered this.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 8 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

Sending URL's via sms will result in an mms conversion every time.

This isn't unique to Apple and will happen on any phone.

The only way around is to use a different message app or don't send URL's in https form.

ie, if the URL starts " https://" try changing it to simply "www."

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@GingerPrince If your friends insist on using MMS and won't use apps like WhatsApp, you're up the creek. Maybe if you explained to them that their messages are end to end encrypted, making them much more secure as well as being free to use over WiFi, that might help. If it doesn't then there's nothing you can do.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 15