cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infrequent pay as you go user

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Which O2 PAYG service would be good if I just want to keep some credit on my phone and not have it wipe every month.

It's a back up phone and something like £10 could last me several months.

if there is such a service, how would it also work with data, too?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

On that unlimited tariff, you topup £10 then get O2 to O2 texts for the next month along with 50MB of data, after the month you still have your £10 credit less any off network texts or call charges, or for £15 you get O2 to O2 calls as well and 100MB data for the following month and still have your credit.

You would just have to use the phone for a chargeable call or topup within 180 days to keep the SIM active

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need one of the o2 unlimited tariffs
https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I looked at that and it says I have to top up monthly or that I am expected to,

I'll rephrase my question because I might not be clear, sorry.

I do not wish to top up any more than when I simply feel like it.

if I top up by £10 and don't use my phone for a month or two, I would hope I still have that credit in full avilable to me, regardless of anniversary dates and any allowances/free texts or minutes that may wipe after a month.

if such a tarrif does exist could I add a data bolt-on to it and does that wipe after a month as well?

thank you

Message 3 of 8

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

On that unlimited tariff, you topup £10 then get O2 to O2 texts for the next month along with 50MB of data, after the month you still have your £10 credit less any off network texts or call charges, or for £15 you get O2 to O2 calls as well and 100MB data for the following month and still have your credit.

You would just have to use the phone for a chargeable call or topup within 180 days to keep the SIM active

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, very helpful.

How does non allowance data work with that? or is there a way of keeping a little bit of data on my phone that won't be wiped after a month?

(I keep mobile data off so expect not to be charged when I am not using it)

Also, does Text and Web work like Unlimited with regard to me retaining the money I put on the phone if I am not using it.

Thanks again

Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You retain the money the same but your allowance is for 30 days from date of top up. After 30 days you will be charged £1 per day for any day that you connect to data. You cannot retain any data allowance on any tariff. To ensure you don't get these charges you must keep mobile data off and use only wifi.

Message 6 of 8

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

For my spare Samsung Galaxy phone I am on the PAYG unlimited tariff and I use it one month, then use my £10 credit in the 2nd month and then top up £10 in the 3rd month, but you may be ok until the 4th month to top it up if you use it so little.  I like this tariff as you get the allowances without O2 taking any credit from you - you just need to top up at least £10.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll rephrase my question because I might not be clear, sorry.

It was perfectly clear and answered to suit your request.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8