cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid an automatic rolling contract after my 24-month contract ends?

Ilo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Two years ago, I bought an iPhone 13 from Mobile Phones Direct. This came with a 24-month "Standard Plan Set 8 Airtime Plan" with O2. The contract ends in early November 2024.

Today, I messaged O2 through the MyO2 app. I wanted to confirm that no charges would apply after my contract expires. However, they informed me that once the contract ends, I'll be automatically enrolled in a monthly rolling contract for Airtime. I told them I didn't want this, and that's when the problems began.

They said I need to call them a month before my contract expires to cancel it. This seems odd since I don't want to "cancel" anything — I just want to ensure there are no further charges after the contract ends, and I don't want another contract with them. The contract states I should call "at least" 30 days before it ends. Since we're well within that timeframe, I couldn't understand the issue.

I called customer service as instructed. Despite explaining that I didn't want to be enrolled in the rolling contract, they kept insisting I should cancel it 30 days before the end date. This was frustrating. They then transferred me to someone else, who repeated the same advice and even offered me as a "solution" a new two-year contract when the current contract ends.

I find this outrageous. They're unilaterally changing my contract terms, forcing me to jump through hoops on their terms. Surely this can't be legal.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148788 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28442 Solutions

@Ilo wrote:

Thanks! Yes, I plan to find a new deal. However, I'm puzzled by their claim that they will "automatically" enrol me in a new rolling contract. I never agreed to this, and I can't find any reference to it in my contract.

That's how all contracts work @Ilo 

Otherwise you would be cut off the day your contract ends.

Rolling contracts are only for 30 days and not long term commitments.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23911 Posts
  • 1043 Topics
  • 3770 Solutions

@Ilo If after the 24 months you've paid off your device your rolling contract is only for the air time. It's in your Terms & Conditions. 

What is it that you would want to happen once the 24 months is up?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 11

MI5
  • 148788 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28442 Solutions

@Ilo 

You simply need to upgrade to a sim only contract at the end of your current deal.

Your problem arises from not having a refresh tariff due to going through a third party.

Nothing has been changed mid contract at all.

Use uswitch for your simo upgrade as they should have some more deals on by then.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 11

Ilo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ciao Bambino,
I am currently only paying Airtime, which ends in a few months. The T&C say (8.2) "This Agreement can be ended by either you or by us giving at least 30 days' Notice". I am giving them plenty of notice - I don't want to continue the contract or change it to a monthly rolling one. I am not sure why they want me to call them exactly 30 days before the end of the contract to tell them what I am very well able to tell them right now.

Message 4 of 11

jonsie
  • 93900 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

If you are telling them you want to cancel now instead of 30 days before you would need to pay the outstanding amount of the minimum term.

You can't give three months notice I'm afraid 

Nothing outrageous about it

You have been 'offered' solutions which you have every right to decline so I don't see how'this is when the problems began'

They have not changed the terms of your contract. Presumably you didn't read the terms and conditions that you signed

Message 5 of 11

Ilo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks! Yes, I plan to find a new deal. However, I'm puzzled by their claim that they will "automatically" enrol me in a new rolling contract. I never agreed to this, and I can't find any reference to it in my contract.

I also don't understand why I need to call exactly 30 days before my contract expires to opt out of the rolling contract when I'm clearly stating my intentions now.

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 148788 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28442 Solutions

and as far as cancelling goes, guide here Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 148788 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28442 Solutions

@Ilo wrote:

That's how all contracts work @Ilo 

Otherwise you would be cut off the day your contract ends.

Rolling contracts are only for 30 days and not long term commitments.

Message 8 of 11

Ilo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Jonsie,
Thanks for your reply.

I am telling them now that I want my contract to naturally ends - I am not cancelling anything now, or in the future. They are saying that when my contract ends, it will transform into a monthly rolling one. They say: "At the end of any Minimum Period this Agreement will continue until it's ended by you or us in line with paragraph 8.2 below".

Paragraph 8.2 states: "This Agreement can be ended by either you or by us giving at least 30 days' Notice (in line with paragraph 19)."

Paragraph 19 states: "If you want to end the Agreement for any of the reasons described in paragraph 8.2 or 8.4 (b), (c) and (d), you must call customer services and give us Notice of at least 30 days".

This is what I am doing now. Their "solution" is to call them on an exact and arbitrary date of precisely 30 days to confirm I want my contract to naturally end, which is something I can confirm right now and is not on the T&Cs.

Message 9 of 11

Ilo
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, MI5. I still find it strange. If the purpose is to safeguard continuity of service, it doesn’t make sense when the customer is explicitly and repeatedly asking not to enter into the additional rolling contract.

It also seems arbitrary that they require me to call exactly 30 days before the contract ends. What if I’m unavailable that day, like being in the hospital or simply too busy? From my perspective, this process feels designed in bad faith.

Message 10 of 11