cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid an automatic rolling contract after my 24-month contract ends?

Ilo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Two years ago, I bought an iPhone 13 from Mobile Phones Direct. This came with a 24-month "Standard Plan Set 8 Airtime Plan" with O2. The contract ends in early November 2024.

Today, I messaged O2 through the MyO2 app. I wanted to confirm that no charges would apply after my contract expires. However, they informed me that once the contract ends, I'll be automatically enrolled in a monthly rolling contract for Airtime. I told them I didn't want this, and that's when the problems began.

They said I need to call them a month before my contract expires to cancel it. This seems odd since I don't want to "cancel" anything — I just want to ensure there are no further charges after the contract ends, and I don't want another contract with them. The contract states I should call "at least" 30 days before it ends. Since we're well within that timeframe, I couldn't understand the issue.

I called customer service as instructed. Despite explaining that I didn't want to be enrolled in the rolling contract, they kept insisting I should cancel it 30 days before the end date. This was frustrating. They then transferred me to someone else, who repeated the same advice and even offered me as a "solution" a new two-year contract when the current contract ends.

I find this outrageous. They're unilaterally changing my contract terms, forcing me to jump through hoops on their terms. Surely this can't be legal.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149009 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@Ilo 

In reality, 30 days notice is no longer required.

You can use your PAC or STAC to end your contract immediately, as outlined in the guide I posted above.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 11 of 11