Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long port my number across from previous network

Wooie1958
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How long does it take to port your old number across from the previous network ?

Did it all online first thing last thursday morning 1/611/2023, filled it all in including the PAC number and my mobile number i want porting across. I received the new O2 sim with a temporary number last friday morning which i activated straight away and then put my old sim back in because i had some important stuff coming in on my number.

The old sim went down ( emergency numbers only ) at 10.00 am this morning so i popped back in the new O2 sim that i`d already activated and it`s still on the temporary number assigned to it.

Checked with my old network provider it was all done at 10.00am this morning, the account was closed and my number was given to O2.

It`s now 15.30pm and it`s still not been done, my old number is inactive.

I need to do a purchase which will use 2 step verification with a O.T.P. sent by text message.

Spoke to customer services twice who gave me different answers.

How long will it take ?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149467 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions

@Wooie1958 

Keep rebooting your phone as the process has started and can take up to 24 hours to fully complete, but usually much quicker than that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 149467 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions

@Wooie1958 

Keep rebooting your phone as the process has started and can take up to 24 hours to fully complete, but usually much quicker than that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

Wooie1958
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 149467 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions

You're welcome @Wooie1958 

Fingers crossed for you.

Message 4 of 8

Wooie1958
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Finally got my number ported across this morning ( tuesday ), i started the process last friday.

Was without any service, even the temporary number went down as well, turns out i`ve missed a same day hospital appointment yesterday because i didn`t answer the text messages they sent me.

Wasn`t like this when i changed from Three to Tesco ( O2 ) 2 years back, it was seamless and all done in no time at all.

I hope this isn`t a guide to anything else for the next 12 months, i came direct to O2 because we are lucky enough to go abroad in our motorhome 3 times a year so free roaming is important.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 149467 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions

Inside the 24 hours though @Wooie1958 

Sometimes it is quicker but not always.

Message 6 of 8

AndriusDo
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,
I find myself in a similar situation. I obtained a new O2 contract on Sunday morning and subsequently requested to port my old O2 number to the new O2 contract on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately, O2 deactivated my old permanent number after approximately 30 minutes, around 3 PM. Since then, the number has not been transferred to my new O2 contract, and I am still awaiting resolution. I have contacted customer support several times, most recently today around 4 PM. However, they consistently assure me that everything is in order and that I simply need to wait. They claim it should be resolved within the next 4 working hours. Nevertheless, the process is taking longer than expected, and I am hopeful that O2 will address and resolve this issue promptly.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 149467 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28498 Solutions

@AndriusDo 

Not sure what O2 have done as ports cannot happen over the weekend.

I'd call again tomorrow to check.

Message 8 of 8