cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long for new phone to connect to network?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Ace today, inserted the O2 sim (new contract) at 4pm and as yet have not received any service texts in order for the phone to actually work. My husband bought the same phone yesterday and received the service texts almost immediately and has had no problems using the phone. Can it take a while for the SIM to activate? I don't know whether there is a problem or if I'm just being impatient. Cheers

Sharyn
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it can take a while, Keep switching the phone off and on.

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

P.s We are all impatient when it comes to new toys.

Also have you tried texting/phoning out?

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okie dokes, thank you.
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep, I've tried texting and phoning, it just says it is not connected to a network, even though there's two bars of signal. I'm worrying I've done something to it. And I really, really want to play with it and am resorting to eating chocolate.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your partner on o2, you could try your sim in that phone just to make sure its nothing to do with the phone

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll try that now....
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's got to be the SIM. When I swapped SIMs over, my phone immediately received service messages, but when I put my SIM back in the phone, there's still no network available and I can't send texts or make calls....aarrggghhh
Message 8 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144508 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27710 Solutions
It's just your SIM that's not activated yet. Try webchat (click contact us at the bottom of the page).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Okie dokes, I'll try that. How long does it usually take for a SIM to be activated? I'm sorry, I sound unbelievably impatient..
Message 10 of 13