cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked PAYG SIM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 85-year-old dad has an O2 PAYG phone which he tops up every month. Recently, he noticed that his credit has been falling quicker than usual.

When I called to get him to check if he'd been ringing 08/09 numbers, he said he'd just gone out and bought a new phone. I thought nothing more about it. I turns out that he'd been sold a new phone, and transferred the SIM. The credit continued to fall faster than expected.

My dad went into the O2 Shop and asked about this. He told me that the people in the shop told him that he had probably given out his mobile number to someone dodgy over the internet, and they had used the credit on his SIM. They gave him a new SIM, and suggested he only gave his mobile number to reputable companies.

Now, this all sounds a bit strange to me. Surely people give out their mobile numbers all the time. How can this be exploited? Does anyone know what has likely happened here, and possibly the O2 staff meant?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will do.
Message 11 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I spoke to my dad again yesterday: he said he'd received a text from O2 on his new phone, asking him why he hadn't replied for free to an earlier text, or something like that. He couldn't be more specific.

It sounds a bit odd to me, although it is a new PAYG SIM. I asked him not to delete any texts, and I'll be seeing him on Thursday.
Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

i think he has give someone the number and they have hacked it or something like that

Message 13 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
How can you hack a number? (I don't want instructions, I just don't understand how giving someone a mobile number exposes them to hacking)
Message 14 of 15

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Neither do I if I'm honest. I can only think of cloning a sim but you'd need physical contact with the sim not just a number.

Can he ask for an itemised bill? Would show where the money has gone?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 15 of 15