cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got text saying I'm eligble for 4G, but it's not showing up in "My O2" bolt ons..

lanceuppercut
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The text said I'm eligible for 4G and should have it after June 27 for no extra cost blah blah.  It's 2 days later and I don't see a 4G bolt-on in My O2 and my iPhone 5s (purchased SIM free from the Apple Store in the UK) is still only connecting at 3G speeds.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm still on an old Simplicity 20 contract which has unlimited data.  Clearly I'm not willing to lose my unlimited data or move onto any current O2 contract as the only thing that is really keeping me here is O2 priority combined with the bonus of having unlimited data.

It's not an iPhone tariff as I use mobile.o2.co.uk instead of idata.co.uk

Anyone know what's happening here?

Edit: I think I have a 4G SIM, it got replaced a few months ago and has "4GPP2" on it along with my SIM card number.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would have to move onto a new tariff if you want to take advantage of the 4G offer. Anyone (myself included) on a legacy tariff will lose their unlimited data if they opt for 4G.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You would have to move onto a new tariff if you want to take advantage of the 4G offer. Anyone (myself included) on a legacy tariff will lose their unlimited data if they opt for 4G.

Message 2 of 20

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

lanceuppercut
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Damn, thanks for the quick reply.  Looks like I'm staying with 3G! slight_smile

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you do have a 4g sim. And you are indeed correct, if you changed to a 4g tariff you WILL lose your unlimited data.

Personally if your 3g is good enough for your needs and unlimited is a deal breaker I would stay put for now as once you leave your legacy tariff you can't go back.
Message 5 of 20

lanceuppercut
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I haven't explicitly said to O2 that I want to switch or that I'm agreeing to the "upgrade" so they hopefully can't do anything to force me to switch up.

3G is fine for me tbh.

Message 6 of 20

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No theycan't force you. I've had the text even though there is no 4G in my area. 3G is ok for my needs to be honest.

Message 7 of 20

lanceuppercut
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fantastic then I'm going nowhere near the "upgrade"  --the only one that looks near to what I'm paying is the £20 tariff for unlimited/unlimited/3gb but it's a 12 month contract and I'd like the flexibility "if" I need it.

I don't like being locked in for 12 months but the nearest 30 day contract only has 2gb data.

Message 8 of 20

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

4G is one of those things that will take forever to become mainstream everywhere. And once all the UK networks have caught up, 5G will be on the cusp of being the next technology. For such a rich nation, we are so backward when it comes to technology.

I might look into changing to 4G after this contract this up in a year or so. Even if I can't get it then, at least it will fallback to 3G.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 9 of 20

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

To be honest, 4G speeds are all well and good but most phones can only run to a certain speed depending on the hardware. Many people would not notice a significant increase in speed until upgrading to a phone with a much better processor.

Message 10 of 20