Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Charged For Internet When Using Wifi

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

There are numerous threads about people being charged (usually 31 per day) by O2 for data usage even though they are using wifi.

The problem here is that you will almost certainly have your cellular data turned on.  Even if you are not using your phone, the cellular data can still run in the background as many apps will run or update in the background and overnight.

You can turn your wifi and cellular data on and you will get charged for data even if you are browsing the internet and using apps through wifi.

All phones are different but you can find your cellular data options in the settings. Disable cellular data to turn off the cellular data and allow you to run your phone only through wifi.

You cannot get refunded from O2 for these charges as it is the users fault for having their cellular data turned on.

The best thing the user can do to prevent being charged for data usage (and also to preserve battery life) is to have one or the other on.  So if you at home and you have a wifi signal then use only wifi and keep the cellular data turned off.  Or if you are at the shops and there is no wifi signal available then turn wifi off and turn cellular data on.  It is common sense really but sometimes people do not understand that the phone will still run off both and not just to wifi until you turn cellular data off.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
A stock vanilla iPhone cannot do this as you say.

I can with my iPhone 5s and it's high time Apple let this happen on a stock iPhone.
Message 11 of 14

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think that the networks need to show some responsibility as well to ensure punters have mobile data disabled if they don't have a plan/don't know what they're doing.  I think o2 are quite generous by informing people by text that they've turned on data and will be invoiced - but clearly they need to word their message to guide people in turning off mobile data if they don't want it.  Having said that, it's better than some other networks that just invoice/take credit without notification.  

Message 12 of 14

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I know the text from O2 is handy - they usually send one if people do not have a tariff and then once the daily data is nearly used up then further texts are sent so the users are aware of the charges so they should not complain that it is O2's fault.

I am unsure about what other networks do.

Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you live in center of small town in Northern Ireland you wish to be charged for data :tongue:

Message 14 of 14