cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent O2 Account Setup In My Name?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As of the 27th September, somebody has setup an O2 account giving my name and email address as contact details.  On the 28th I've received an email notification of a bill for £37.16.

I cannot access this other account since I don't have the password for it, though I do have the username that came with the "Welcome To O2" email.

No financial crime has yet been commited against me as far as I know. Though I will be keeping an eye on my bank account for bogus transactions. At the moment I can only presume the person who setup the account doesn't have any bank or card details related to me.

Anyone else had any experience of this?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123286 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
Hmmm... I'll criss my fingers for you. But, as this was a big problem not that long ago I'm super dubious it's not some sort of fraud using your details (just not your bank account) to get an expensive phone.

Just be extra vigilant and also I'd have a look at your credit profile (it won't show up straight away), you can get a free trial with most of them for a month.

Let us know how things pan out!

Mmmmmm...I agree here. if it was me I would be checking and double checking on a daily basis. (Having been victim of fraud on my cards on 3 occasions) I had £1200 spent by someone in Australia and it gave me the fright of my life. Nationwide fraud team were very much on the ball though and they alerted me and put a stop on my cards pretty quickly. Thing is these scammers are getting very very clever at thinking up new ways to rob the innocent...Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@gindygoo wrote:
Hmmm... I'll criss my fingers for you. But, as this was a big problem not that long ago I'm super dubious it's not some sort of fraud using your details (just not your bank account) to get an expensive phone.

Just be extra vigilant and also I'd have a look at your credit profile (it won't show up straight away), you can get a free trial with most of them for a month.

Let us know how things pan out!

Mmmmmm...I agree here. if it was me I would be checking and double checking on a daily basis. (Having been victim of fraud on my cards on 3 occasions) I had £1200 spent by someone in Australia and it gave me the fright of my life. Nationwide fraud team were very much on the ball though and they alerted me and put a stop on my cards pretty quickly. Thing is these scammers are getting very very clever at thinking up new ways to rob the innocent...Evil

Definitely, and I'm thinking back to how cs dealt with a lot of these incidents of fraud. They were blasé at best and dismissive and in denial quite often. It wasn't a great advert for the way O2 were dealing with fraudulent purchases and contracts.

If this was me, I'd be like @Cleoriff and double/triple checking things daily.

In fact, have you actually been put through to the fraud dept by cs? Or has an advisor given you their "opinion"? Maybe I'm being too cynical... But I've also been a victim of this kind of fraud and its a nightmare if not dealt with promptly.

Message 12 of 12