cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent O2 Account Setup In My Name?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As of the 27th September, somebody has setup an O2 account giving my name and email address as contact details.  On the 28th I've received an email notification of a bill for £37.16.

I cannot access this other account since I don't have the password for it, though I do have the username that came with the "Welcome To O2" email.

No financial crime has yet been commited against me as far as I know. Though I will be keeping an eye on my bank account for bogus transactions. At the moment I can only presume the person who setup the account doesn't have any bank or card details related to me.

Anyone else had any experience of this?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

This used to be a common occurrence on here in the past, yours is the first for a while. Search for o2 fraud in the box above.

You need to call customer service and report it to the fraud team, get them to give you new details for My O2 and make your bank aware.

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
My O2 account that I use hasn't been compromised (hence I'm posting this message from it). Nothing has changed on it. It still only has my Pay & Go phone on it.

Somebody has setup a completely new account that happens to have my name and email address associated with it. Apart from the username I have no details of this new account. Would customer service even speak to me since it isn't my account?
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Yes of course they will. It's called ID Theft. They will investigate for you.

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

This needs to be sorted asap in my humble opinion. If you leave it it may escalate. Fraud team need to get this looked at.:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
I hope you've told your bank already, if not you must do that immediately. And even though it's not hit you financially yet, if and when these ppl don't pay the bill (more than likely btw) it'll hit your credit rating. So do as advised and get hold of o2 quickly.
Message 6 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Just because the account is not linked to your current profile, does not mean it's not an account using your financial details.
Cs need to investigate as said or you may find yourself in bigger problems.
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I spoke to CS and apart from using my name and email address, the other details don't relate to me.

Payment on that account is via a bank account that isn't mine. For now they've put it down as a mistaken email address, and going to contact the number on that account. It might just be the person has the same name as me and has a similar email address which was entered wrongly.
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Fingers crossed that it is all it is but the problem remains that any default could be linked to your name. It shouldn't be a problem if they are checking the account. At least they, and you, are aware.

Message 9 of 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Hmmm... I'll criss my fingers for you. But, as this was a big problem not that long ago I'm super dubious it's not some sort of fraud using your details (just not your bank account) to get an expensive phone.

Just be extra vigilant and also I'd have a look at your credit profile (it won't show up straight away), you can get a free trial with most of them for a month.

Let us know how things pan out!
Message 10 of 12