cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ferry roaming charges - also relevant for cruise ships

Anonymous
Not applicable

As this is trending at the moment I though I would add some inf that is available when u use the ferry's /cruise's website. This one is the one on the Brittany ferries web site and you get this inf when u buy the ticket. This will apply to most,although the satellites may vary the same principle applies ( Iceland and Norway are the most common locations for the satellites but there are more).  

Will my mobile phone work on board the ferry?

Yes, an offshore mobile telephone network is available during the crossing, additional charges will be incurred.

Skybridge is a satellite-based marine mobile provider and charges will be considerably higher than your standard tariff.

Wi-Fi Internet is also available on board and is provided free of charge to our customers. In order to use the service you must log-in to the Internet@Sea wireless network using the credentials on your boarding card or cabin key. If you are using data on your device solely via our onboard Wi-Fi connection then you will not incur any additional charges. Please ensure you have Wi-Fi enabled and have logged into Internet@Sea correctly and have disabled your mobile data and mobile data roaming in your device settings.

If you do not disable your mobile data roaming then your mobile may automatically use this service whilst onboard. Data charges via Skybridge will be considerably higher than your standard data tariff. Please refer to your devices operating instructions for details on how to enable and disable these features and ensure you are aware of any data services that may be enabled and attempting to connect.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Also this is part of the ferry's terms and conditions, so O2 or any other network have no control over it.

If customer's get the charges back it's done as a good will gesture. Don't want to sound mean or anything but it's just how it works ...

Exactly the point I was making on the other thread so I appreciate the official confirmation slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

You were actually my inspiration @MI5 !:smileywink:

Message 12 of 36

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You were actually my inspiration @MI5 !:smileywink:

The very essence of a Community @Anonymous Hug

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic

Message 14 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for sharing 🙂
Message 15 of 36

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Toby Perhaps another candidate for the help topics.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 16 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some good replies and links thanks.  Had a look at the T&C's for poferries but cannot find anything about mobile networks during the voyage.  I wouldn't have a problem paying a charge if it is for the location i'm actually at and not bounced off a satalite linking up somewhere halfway around the world. Shall wait to to what materialises

Phill

Message 17 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
BE WARNED. WHEN ON A CRIUSE O2 charged me £47 for a received call, saying that it was on an Islandic rate I was in the middle of the Meditteranean! Just making a fast buck. Discusting. I have 4 accounts with 02. Their contracts normally cost more than elsewhere. I have assumed this was because of good service. Which I have had until now. I will be considering upgrading my phones elsewhere I think
Message 18 of 36

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Have you read any of the many threads on here about ferry prices?
I suggest you do and understand what you are talking about.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 36

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Are you serious? O2 are merely passing on the charges incurred by you for using the ships connection without knowing or checking beforehand. Your responsibility not o2's. 

Message 20 of 36