cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with slow data connections in SW England

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with O2 now for 8/9 years and have always been happy with their service, in particular, their excellent UK based customer service and the odd perks I get.

However, im getting really fed up lately of slow data speeds around the South West.  I have a HTC One M8 which runs extremely fast on 4G in places like London, but when I head back from London to Exeter, my data speed is mostly "G".  

When it switches to "E", this is basically useless as it never works.  

In Exeter central I get "H".  But overall, the data speeds are incredibly slow and i'm struggling to understand why it is that in 2014, we have to put up with these incredibly slow connections.  Its ok talking about 4G but how about upgrading people to 3G first?  

I'm also puzzled to not see Exeter on the list of cities to have 4G in the near future.  

I really want to stay with O2, but while companies such as EE strive ahead and seem to have stable high speed data connections across the UK, O2 seems to be stagnant and out of date (unless you live in London).  

Come on O2, modernise your network in the SW.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93216 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
A person can check where their masts are here http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search to see if any obstructions etc could be causing issues.

Excellent advice !!

Worth checking out the EE masts....:smileywink:

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 said "Excellent advice !!"

Thank you MI5.

An excellent link that's been used on the forum here ,and other forums too. 😄
Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all for the replies.  Had a look at the mast information - only one near where I live and thats Vodafone GSM mast.  

Thing is, I dont want to leave O2 as such - like I said, I like their customer service.  I tried ringing EE a while back and got through to someone I believe in Thailand?  I thought speaking to someone in India was bad enough!  I also like their priority moments and priority tickets for the O2 arena -  and while their network coverage is excellent for phonecalls , its in the stone age when it comes to the data coverage and thats my main gripe with them.  

Not having a published roll out plan is very annoying because at least I can see if major cities like Exeter are on the list and when they will go live.  

But, going back to my original point, before this talk of 4G, and selling 4G phones and the like, they should first ensure all their customers can get 3G and then, start rolling out faster 4G services.

Message 13 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93216 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried ringing EE a while back and got through to someone I believe in Thailand?  

Thought I recognised you wink

The non existent roll out plan has been of much disappointment on here....

Message 14 of 14