cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

European zone!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
I've just got back from Holland and have a large bill to contend with that is going to cause me problems!

I was Lead to believe, by 02 with a text message, that I was in the European zone and encouraged to keep my mobile data on, but was charge 40 pound for what would have been less than 30 minutes as I was on a ship crossing from England to Holland, I didn't leave Europe. I find this very upsetting as I was enjoying sending my children snap chats of me and their Dads wedding anniversary break. Would this happen if I was using 3G on a lake in the Lake District lol!?
I feel their should be a warning as on reading on trip advisor this is happening a lot to customers, who in good faith and trust, leave their data roaming on.
I've been with 02 for the best part of 16 years and feel very upset at being charge 40 pounds on top of what I pay monthly!
Any advice or ideas?
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Search the forum for cruise ships and you will see the extortionate prices they charge.

ships.PNG

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

Search the forum for cruise ships and you will see the extortionate prices they charge.

ships.PNG

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad#

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
That'll be the answer then, looks like it's a Maratime issue with the ship's roaming, so unfair hey! Thanks for sharing this info to me 😊
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yes, very unfair and they don't get regulated like all the normal networks do so can charge what they like, sadly 😞

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As soon as you lose a land based mast in the eu zone this will always happen @Martin-O2 can this be fed back up the chain advising all users that on a ferry cruise ship etc there needs to be clearer guideance on the new eu roam at home pages

i.e. in the whats not included section (no mention at all) Pay monthly page

no ferry warning.JPG

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-10-88_en.htm?locale=en sets out what ships do in eu waters etc and why roam at home is not applied

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Excellent idea @adamtemp64 there really needs to be a section on this. So many people get stung by these extortionate charges. 

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good idea Adam, I've been searching Google and this is happening to so many people, as far as I was concerned I was in the EU and my phone said 3G and I could see the land, we'd only started sailing for 10 minutes and I'd already racked up 40 quid, in a blind panic I turned my data roaming off and off it stayed for the rest of the holiday! I lost my confidence in 02 saying
Relax, O2 Travel is with you abroad.

Go ahead, roam in our Europe Zone - it's included in your tariff. And get all the minutes, texts and data you need for up to £4.99 a day, in 64 countries outside Europe.

Just leave data roaming on.

See where's covered: http://s.o2.co.uk/eNXsWM0p

As I clearly, in their eyes and the DFDS ships, I wasn't in Europe!
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 93218 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

the official way to prevent this accidental roaming it to do a manual network selection and not automatic

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad#qs scroll to bottom

accidental roam.JPG

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 14

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer-service/preparing-for-your-trip puts the balme on the mobile networks !!!

dfds mobile.JPG

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 14