cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double charged for calls when buying a new phone from shop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

My daughter has a contract with O2.  She wanted a better phone so she went to the shop and bought one.  The new phone would be used with the existing contract.  She was told that as the phone was PAYG, she would have to buy a PAYG sim with £10.00 credit.  Reluctantly she paid up.

I spoke to customer services on chat and they told me she should have been given a blank sim for free.  I then rang the manager of the shop who confirmed it is company policy to charge the extra £10.00.

So the upshot is I'm paying twice for the same phone.  Once on the contract and then again for a PAYG sim I'm never going to use.

So which is correct?  Do O2 shops always charge a tenner more?  This looks like a perfect way to kill the high street shops.

Chat suggested I went back and returned the sim for a refund.  It's 26 miles return for me so not very good value.  Will O2 pay my petrol for a mistake made b y them?

I'm pretty peeved at this and will look at other providers to see if I can get a better deal.  In the meantime can I have my tenner back please?

I look forward to your reply.

Steve

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I think the confusion is that it is policy to sell a PAYG phone with a compulsory top up, but usually a shop manager will waive the top up fee if a contract customer is buying the phone to use with their contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all

I also looked at the complaint link but you can only complain by phone which is irritating when an email takes a few minutes and a phone call takes ages if you're stuck in a queue.

Thanks again.

Steve

The email ink is at the foot of the page.

Complaints Review Service

We will take an impartial look at your complaint and how our customer service teams have handled it so far and do our best to help you find a resolution that you’re happy with.

So we can review your case without delay, please send us details of your complaint making sure you include:

• Your name and address

• Your mobile and account numbers

• A daytime contact number

• A suggestion of what you'd like us to do to put things right

• If you've had any previous correspondence relating to your complaint, please send copies of these as well as any names of supervisors and managers you've spoken to.

You can send us everything by post to:

O2 Complaints Review Service

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Alternatively you can email us directly at: complaintreviewservice@o2.com or fax us on 0870 600 2402.

Message 12 of 12