cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double charged for calls when buying a new phone from shop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

My daughter has a contract with O2.  She wanted a better phone so she went to the shop and bought one.  The new phone would be used with the existing contract.  She was told that as the phone was PAYG, she would have to buy a PAYG sim with £10.00 credit.  Reluctantly she paid up.

I spoke to customer services on chat and they told me she should have been given a blank sim for free.  I then rang the manager of the shop who confirmed it is company policy to charge the extra £10.00.

So the upshot is I'm paying twice for the same phone.  Once on the contract and then again for a PAYG sim I'm never going to use.

So which is correct?  Do O2 shops always charge a tenner more?  This looks like a perfect way to kill the high street shops.

Chat suggested I went back and returned the sim for a refund.  It's 26 miles return for me so not very good value.  Will O2 pay my petrol for a mistake made b y them?

I'm pretty peeved at this and will look at other providers to see if I can get a better deal.  In the meantime can I have my tenner back please?

I look forward to your reply.

Steve

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

This is a customer forum. We can't give you your tenner back. Call customer service on 202 from your contract phone, and see if they can resolve this for you.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for your reply.  Isn't this forum moderated by O2?  Can someone tell me if I was incorrectly charged?

I tried customer services by phone.  Waited 40 mins in a queue and gave up.  I looked for a complaint email but I don't think there is one.

I'm probably going to email BBC watchdog as it'll be quicker and easier than trying to get hold of O2.

Cheers

Steve

Message 3 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I don't work for O2 but I can assure you you were incorrectly charged. It is definitely not company policy. This forum is moderated by an outsourced company. There are three admin staff who work for O2.  However they are not connected to customer service.

You have a genuine complaint. Email them explaining you were mislead into buying a top up.

It is possible that one of the admin may try to help but it's not for me say they will. I believe the £10 should be refunded or transferred onto the contract and I'm fairly sure that this will be done. Supply a contact number but it can take 7 working days for someone to deal with your complaint. It is also possible that the actual store you went to could be a franchise. Many stores are these days.

However, I wish you good luck and I'm sure of a positive outcome for you.

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

This forum is not monitored by O2. Trying to call CS on a Saturday is always going to be difficult. Use the complaints link that @jonsie has provided, or try to call CS early morning on a weekday if you have the time to do that.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I would expect cs will refund the £10 if you give them a call and explain.
I don't think there is any need to contact watchdog but that's entirely your choice of course.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Watchdog will do exactly nothing to help, the complaint process has to be followed.  O2 will credit the monthly account without question but they need to be made aware what the store has done before this happens.

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
They are only interested in sensational stories, not a £10 top up wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Thanks very much for all your replies.  I did speak to the manager of the shop, who assured me it was company policy.  I also looked at the complaint link but you can only complain by phone which is irritating when an email takes a few minutes and a phone call takes ages if you're stuck in a queue.

I'll take your advice and call them on Monday morning early and hopefully I can get through.

I'll also report back here on the outcome so everyone can benefit from what I find out.

Thanks again.

Steve

Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Best of luck Steve. I have no doubt you will have a positive outcome wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12