Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Upgrade and SIM Only

PaulThePonderer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought my handset outright and went for an O2 SIM only monthly contract ages ago. Time for me to change tarriff but I'm a little puzzled. 

Am I correct in thinking  ...

if I "upgrade", essentially it's a silent system change for O2 so I don't see anything much apart from a change in the billed amount; contract rolls over seemlessly, number stays the same etc.

if I take out a new SIM only deal, there's an overlap in contract periods (I end up paying twice), new SIM has to be installed, number ported over to the new SIM etc.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12148 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1129 Solutions
Pretty much spot on there @PaulThePonderer

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

The only change would be to your tariff and there is no crossover period apart from the difference in tariff rate for the month which will be credited or debited to your first bill. Just the one bill

Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123382 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Yes @PaulThePonderer 

That's exactly how it works. If you Upgrade you keep the same sim and number and the change is made to your account.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

PaulThePonderer
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So in my case a new SIM is a way better deal than upgrading.

Does the charge period for the new SIM start from the day you slip it in and start using it, or the date you order it?

Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You are better upgrading to sim only

No need to change sim and new deal starts within 24 hours

Only the one bill on the same date as now

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123382 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

No not a new sim @PaulThePonderer 

Upgrade to sim only is the way to go. No contact needed with O2 staff, no sim change needed. As said, it's all changed on the system. We have been doing this for years since we went to sim only and it's effective (and painless Lol)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

PaulThePonderer
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, now I'm confused. I'm already a SIM only customer.

It appears I have two options. One is to upgrade via the myO2 site which offers a very poor choice of options. The other is to buy a new SIM only contract via the shop. 

And the latter involves O2 sending me a new SIM doesn't it? 

Message 8 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 123382 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@PaulThePonderer 

I am also a sim only customer and looking on my PC they have an option of 100GB data, Unlimited texts and calls for £20 a month.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P12M 

@jonsie  upgraded to this tariff a couple of weeks ago and he, like you and me, was a sim only customer.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 145094 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@PaulThePonderer All simo deals are available for upgrade https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P12M

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 14