cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data problems?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm posting this here in the hope someone can help, because so far the problem has been fallen on deaf ears and explained is my equipment and my fault.

A few days ago I was driving and had a text saying I'd used 80% of my data, I wasn't sure what on, as I don't really use data. Then within a minute I got another text saying I had no data left. I shrugged it off presuming some app was playing up, all that was running I think was eBay.

Yesterday I needed to use the Internet, so opened Safari to be greeted with the message saying I'd used all my data. No problem I think and then phoned 2202 for more data, added 100mb and went back to Safari. I still have the message saying I've used all my data, so I gave it a minute or so, yet still had no data.

I then phoned 2202 again, and again added 100mb of data, presuming it hadn't gone through. Then went back to Safari, same message. OK, I thought, obviously a problem. I'll phone o2. I phone and gave up after 10 minutes...

So, today I use your live chat thing (on my laptop as it's pointless from a phone - it doesn't work) and to cut a long story short I've been told I've used 200mb in the last 12 hours.

Well, that'd be fine if I could've actually used data, but no emails, Safari or Apps would function. At all. Aside from that, under Mobile in Settings, the only apps I permit to use over data are Amazon, eBay, Mail, Safari, Fastever and Settings. And background updates are off. 

I don't use Facebook or Twitter and I'm an avid avoider of using data unless really bored.

So, can someone please tell me how I could have possibly used 200mb of data in seemingly minutes/seconds?

And yes I've taken my simcard out and turned it on and off. It's an iPhone 5 if that matters.

Any advice would be appreciated, because my phone says I've only used 67mb in the last 7 days, yet o2 insist otherwise - although how they propose I'm supposed to have used that data is beyond me.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

few community members are having similar issues, data being used very, very fast, o2 must be at fault somewhere...

Message 11 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

few community members are having similar issues, data being used very, very fast, o2 must be at fault somewhere...

This has been an issue for quite some time.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Bambino they come here or other forums and learn.

😞

Using WiFi does I believe use more battery hence why one piece of advice typically given is to turn off WiFi when not needed.
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll give them a bell shortly.

Something definately looks fishy to me, certainly to claim 200mb in 12hours on these figures, last reset 12th Sept 2013.

Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm on a 1gb tariff and can usually manage to keep within it. It's rare I have to add a bolt on.

And I use mine very heavily.
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Garth Vader,

had the very same problem. Apparently my data bolt on was added to my next billing cycle. This was not very helpful as the text message from My O2 said it would work straight away.

I went on to the live chat facility and resolved it in five mins. It shouldnt be that hard though should it. Silly 02!! Im off to Three when my contact runs out, they have unlimited data there.

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 16 of 23

Bambino
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

You should always go where you feel you're going to get the best deal. Just be sure that the coverage from Three is good where you live and work before you make the switch. Unlimited data is useless if you don't get a decent signal.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I'm so annoyed by this, that as my contract ran out a couple of years ago, I have no incentive to stay, less so now.

GiffGaff uses the same network (doesn't it?), so I'm more inclined to go there. Especially as they'll give me more and for only £10 a month.

Mind you, Virgin, 3 and Vodafone all provide a better tariff than I currently receive.
Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unlimited data on a giffgaff £12 goody bag.

No 4g yet tho.
Message 19 of 23

Bambino
  • 23093 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Yes, GiffGaff uses the O2 network, as does Tesco Mobile. If you're not under contract any more, now's the time to shop around and test the coverage from other networks.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 20 of 23