cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data problems?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I'm posting this here in the hope someone can help, because so far the problem has been fallen on deaf ears and explained is my equipment and my fault.

A few days ago I was driving and had a text saying I'd used 80% of my data, I wasn't sure what on, as I don't really use data. Then within a minute I got another text saying I had no data left. I shrugged it off presuming some app was playing up, all that was running I think was eBay.

Yesterday I needed to use the Internet, so opened Safari to be greeted with the message saying I'd used all my data. No problem I think and then phoned 2202 for more data, added 100mb and went back to Safari. I still have the message saying I've used all my data, so I gave it a minute or so, yet still had no data.

I then phoned 2202 again, and again added 100mb of data, presuming it hadn't gone through. Then went back to Safari, same message. OK, I thought, obviously a problem. I'll phone o2. I phone and gave up after 10 minutes...

So, today I use your live chat thing (on my laptop as it's pointless from a phone - it doesn't work) and to cut a long story short I've been told I've used 200mb in the last 12 hours.

Well, that'd be fine if I could've actually used data, but no emails, Safari or Apps would function. At all. Aside from that, under Mobile in Settings, the only apps I permit to use over data are Amazon, eBay, Mail, Safari, Fastever and Settings. And background updates are off. 

I don't use Facebook or Twitter and I'm an avid avoider of using data unless really bored.

So, can someone please tell me how I could have possibly used 200mb of data in seemingly minutes/seconds?

And yes I've taken my simcard out and turned it on and off. It's an iPhone 5 if that matters.

Any advice would be appreciated, because my phone says I've only used 67mb in the last 7 days, yet o2 insist otherwise - although how they propose I'm supposed to have used that data is beyond me.

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
bob - He says his phone reports 67mb of data use, so clearly something wrong somewhere.
GarthVader-You need to call CS and ask for a network investigation team member to look at it for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
In your settings you can See what's using data if your on ios7
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Data usage on iPhone.
Settings - Mobile - shows each app usage at the bottom.
Message 3 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's wise to stay in WiFi where possible.

Turn off mobile data whilst at home as the iPhone switches from WiFi to 3g when it goes to sleep.
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you? Is that the figure under each app, under Settings>Mobile? If so, then I presume that's total historical data?

Edit: Saw you'd replied again, while I was writing this!

Total usage for everything, looks to be sub 300mb (excluding video, which like most apps is turned off and certainly has been for months, although shows 339mb) and 163mb for system services.

Message 5 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
bob - He says his phone reports 67mb of data use, so clearly something wrong somewhere.
GarthVader-You need to call CS and ask for a network investigation team member to look at it for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally agree MI5.

This is a tool the OP can use when they ring customer services to challenge the usage.
Message 7 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
It's wise to stay in WiFi where possible.

Turn off mobile data whilst at home as the iPhone switches from WiFi to 3g when it goes to sleep.

Knowing that most people are on finite data packages, why does Apple have its phones default to 3G when they go to sleep mode? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I believe it's to conserve battery.

I would prefer to have something in settings like in android to set a preference.
Message 9 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Does 3G on an iPhone use that much less battery than when on WiFi? What happens to all the poor innocents who are getting an iPhone for the first time at Christmas and aren't aware of this 'energy saving' feature?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 23