cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score blighted by incorrectly registered O2 default

Anonymous
Not applicable

I note that this is a regular feature on this noticeboard.

I Have an exemplary credit history, or i did until i got involved with O2. 

I am the kind of person who always pays bills on time, doesnt not take out big fat loans or over spend and certainly dont have anyone chasing me for money  or judgements against me.

My biggest mistake was signing up for an O2 pay monthly contract ofr 12 months some yeas ago. 

It ran for the 12 months and about a month before the end , i contacted o2 several times and informed them that i did not wish to renew the contract.

I found that there was a real reluntance, boardering on blind refusal, to end my contract by O2 customer service. They were determined to sell me new contracts and services howver i re-iterated that i wanted to end the contract

When the contracted ended i ceased using their sim.

In January this year i had a look at my credit report via noddle and noted that O2 had registered a default of £10. 

I raised a complaint with O2 and have correspondence from one of their complaint handlers confirming that the default has been remove.

When this very day is it still showing on my credit report and adversely affecting my credit score?

Message 1 of 23
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It can take upto 6 months for it to be removed by all the credit agencies.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It can take upto 6 months for it to be removed by all the credit agencies.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thanks,this is what i keep hearing.

The likes of O2 can register it in the blink of an eye and yet it cant be removed for months and it seems i am all but powerless to seek any kind of redress.

I have read quite a few similar accounts of incorreectly registered defaults.

I have currently raised another dispute with callcredit and i may see if i can pursue it with the ombudsman.

Message 3 of 23

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good luck mate - we all think it's disgraceful what the likes of o2 do without any attempt to inform customers or any consideration for the effects it has on them.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 23

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

We also think it's disgraceful that O2 don't tell you exactly what you need to do to end your contract in order to avoid a default on your credit rating. You can find out by searching this forum, but usually by then it's too late.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Their answer is not good enough  @Anonymous.  You say you were told it had been removed but is still showing. It's totally unacceptable it should remain on your credit history... particularly as far as you know, you weren't actually in default. As you say they can issue it 'in the blink of an eye' with no warning whatsoever.....and yet it takes 6 months to remove? I would make as much noise as possible to as many people who will listen. I would not accept it and would also ask for a correction to be made ....Absolutely outrageous...Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 23

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's quite likely now in the hands of the credit agencies to update their files - some are quicker than others.
I'd check others online too like Experion and Equifax to see if they have been corrected yet.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 23

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Add a notice of correction to your credit until the default is removed.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. I know from my research that O2 have also blighted the credit files of other ex and current customers.

I do recognise that there are people out there who are not credit worthy and it is quite jusitifed to place markers on their credit profiles but i am not one of them.

I first raised this issue with O2 in January 2016 when it came to my attention. I was assured having filed a complaint, that their credit department had recognised the error and had removed the default. As of last week it was still there with callcredit(noddle) and on Experian. I didnt bother to check equifax as its probably the same.

I have now submitted a subject access request under the data protection act to retrieve all the information that O2 have about me.

I have also raised another complaint.

If you too have a justified and similar issue with O2, then you too can raise a statutory subject access request for the statutory fee of £10

See here

http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/kana/subjectaccessrequestform.pdf

Message 9 of 23

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Sue 'em Evil ..........damages would probably be in the £'000s

Sooner or later O2 will have their own "No win, No Fee" claim chaser on their heels.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 10 of 23