Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges

Hipkity
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 have specified the cost of ending the contract early, then stated they will charge us for another 3 months after the contract is paid off.... can they do this? How can they charge for 3 more monthly bills on top of their cancellation fee? Surely this is not right..
Has anyone else had this?
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I think someone is mistaken.
You only have to pay until the end of your contract
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
I think someone is mistaken.
You only have to pay until the end of your contract
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hipkity If you are on Refresh then you only have to pay off the device plan

Message 3 of 15

Hipkity
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for that, I thought something isn't right about what they are saying. They told us the total amount to pay off the contract then said they will still charge us another 3 months bills. Thanks for the link above, another call to confirm the cost of ending the contract and a letter in writing. Fingers crossed that works!
Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Best of luck and let us know what develops in case we're missing something......
Make sure you give notice on your airtime if on refresh so you don't have to overpay on that too.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Hipkity
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
There's 9 months left of a 2nd contract phone, we want to pay off the contract and get rid of it. We can see how much it is on the app to 'upgrade' but that's not what we want. The total figure they gave on the call was slightly higher which they explained was termination fees, that's fine however they want to also keep charging for a further 3 months. They argued the phone was being used even though it has been switched off.
I really don't know what's happened to O2 lately but I'm seriously thinking of going with another network!!
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
The upgrade figure in your MyO2 app generally includes a discount and can be done 1 month early (so hence one less month to pay).
There is no way I can imagine where you'd have to pay a further 3 months after paying off your contract fully.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Hipkity
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'll call them again tomorrow, I will probably get a different version of it by then.

I was just reading your post about unlocking the phone for any network. This is also something we're having problems with. It's an o2 contract but the phone was purchased via carphone warehouse. O2 stating they can't unlock the phone as it's not theirs, carphone warehouse can't do it as they say we have to go to network provider. So basically no1 can unlock the phone, have you heard of this before?
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 144386 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Yes, that's a very common "Mexican Standoff" but the good news for you is that your phone is not locked.
Carphone warehouse phones are all unlocked except iPhones which O2 can email Apple to unlock anyway.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Hipkity
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Woohoo... some good news at last. Thank you very much
Message 10 of 15