Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for a call I didn't make

sparkyA1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 18 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently found that I had no credit left on my phone - checked records and found that I had been charged for a 1 hour 33 minute call. Looking at the details found that the call was made to a number that had called me earlier that morning - it was a scam type call saying that I was required to obtain a public performance licence for playing music. Needless to say I have nothing to do with this and told the caller that but he was quite aggressive. Eventually got rid of him. I did not call this number back. At the time of the call I was watching TV with the phone nearby so know that no one else could have made the call. I did not see any activity on my phone during this period. O2 say I made the call and the charge stands. How could this call have been made without my knowledge? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice or ideas welcome. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The regulator is Phonepayplus http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/
Give them a try and hope they can help you mate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'd suggest Googling the number to see if any other instances are reported anywhere - Some of these scams are very sophisticated and can result in you loosing money without even realising you are doing it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

As @MI5 says some of these scams are very sophisticated.

A colleague of mine had the same happen with a landline scam call. He was charged a horrendous amount even though he thought he had disconnected the call...

Apparently he found out later, the scammers can do something their end which ensures the call is NOT disconnected..(Out of spite apparently)

He thought it was a bit weird because when he tried to dial out on his landline again, he couldnt get the normal dialling tone.....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

sparkyA1
  • 18 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I have Googled the number and there are loads of complaints regarding aggressive and harrassing calls from the number all relating to the same Music Licence scam. The call cost me £23.- probably because that was all there was left in my credit. I didn't find out till I tried to use my phone a few days later and was told I had no credit. I've been in touch with O2 and they are completely dismissive saying I made the call or someone with access to my phone made the call. I know I didn't and the phone was at my side the whole time. Any ideas on how I can make a claim against the charge? 

Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The regulator is Phonepayplus http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/
Give them a try and hope they can help you mate.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

sparkyA1
  • 18 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Let us know how you get on - If there are many complaints they may already be on to them slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 can do a network check to see if the call was actually made from your sim I would be on to them to do that as well
Message 8 of 19

sparkyA1
  • 18 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, I've been advised to start with O2's Complaint Review Service and have done this - they will look into all aspects and get back to me. Will let you know the result (within 5 working days). Thanks your help.

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope you get it sorted good luck slight_smile
Message 10 of 19