cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to Data allowance policy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Just a quick message to let you know that O2 have changed their policy when you use up your data allowance.

Under the old system once you had used up your allowance, I believe your connection would be throttled to 15kbps. With effect from the 11th November, if you use up your allowance then you can not use your data connection at all until your next bill date unless you buy more data.

This change has caught me out, so I thought it best to warn other customers. Please note the FAQ's on the mobile website (m.o2.co.uk/support/paymonthly/usealldata) still suggest your data connection will be slowed - from experience I can confirm this does not happen!

Edit - I received this information from Raj on O2 customer support via O2 chat - he said that they will be updating their website shortly as I explained the current site still refers to data being slowed down. I only spotted the change and queried it because I received the following message when connecting to the bbc website from a redirect to www.o2.co.uk/data-allowance

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94099 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions
It has changed from what we have always been led to believe and the advice given to people on here. Surely a change like that should have warranted a simple notification?
Message 31 of 55

MI5
  • 149608 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
I agree, and if not to the general public at least let the forum know so we can advise correctly.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 32 of 55

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A bit longer around here and you'll realise that O2 will often make changes without notice, regardless of the affect on customers, it's what they do!

They sell communications, they don't live by them! Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 33 of 55

jonsie
  • 94099 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

why do they need to notify when it is already in the current T&C.

I do not personally think o2 need to.

If thay had amended the T&C then yes notification required.

I can see your point and i agree.  However, what is clearly not acceptable is that Still today, nearly four months after the change, they are still clearly stating in various areas that you will get slower speed.

When I went to MyO2 yesterday (as I knew I was near my data limit) it clearly stated. 'You're getting close to using all your UK data allowance.  When you've used it, you'll get a slower data speed.'.  In fact, after raising this issue via live chat today, MyO2 still has the same statement on.

Also, the advisor on livechat promoted a benefit of being on O2 was that you get your data slowed, not stopped.  She actually had to contact her support team to find out that the policy had changed.

It was also one of the benefits that made me choose O2 in the first place.

Admittedly i have paid for 1GB of data and cannot expect any more.  HOWEVER, i can expect to be told what will happen and not be blatanlty lied to by O2s own systems.  Especially as the first user on this thread had reported this to them MONTHS ago.

Message 35 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree.

It did take a new member to raise a post about this to highlight o2's move from one T&C clause to another in Data usage terms.

That said if a change was implemented then any auto message should have been changed also ,and all parties from non uk outsourced call centres (Live Chat), Uk Customer service (202&4445)and frontline store staff should have been fully briefed and that info passed into concerned / confused customers.

Message 36 of 55

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous if parts of the website / apps are out of date you need to raise it with o2 there is a website errors thread but do not expect things to be updated quickly over 1  year for missing info and still not on the  website http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Website-bugs-or-errors/m-p/394782#U394782

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 37 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
  • THis is an absolute joke if you ask me. I have recently joined o2 from T-Mobile(EE) - If i had known this was the cacase before i joined 02 I would have NEVER joined. Tmobile-EE do not completely disconnect your data once you have hit your limit, they just throttle it. I know it is not somthing that they have to do, but its something they do because it allows customers to at least still send and receive emails etc. For me, what 02 have done here is a deal breaker. Once my contract is up im gone.
  • Its September 2014, this thread was started a long time ago yet the MY02 app still states that speeds will be slowed to 15kbs and on the help page it also states that speeds will be slowed and not stopped. NOWHERE other than in the terms and conditions does it mention about data being stopped and even there it has a 5 condition list which o2 can pick from at their leasure depending on their mood that week!

I think 02 are treating their customers like fools, letting us think we are getting one thing and then finding out when its too late that your getting something completely different.

The sooner i can Dump 02 the better.

Message 38 of 55

jonsie
  • 94099 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

I have to agree that O2 made a monumental error stopping data completely once you have reached your data allowance. It's quite simply a sales ploy to get you to buy more data.

Message 39 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 used to throttle the data speed to next to useless.

Now as you know it's stopped until your next refresh date or you add a data bolt on.

Make sure your next network gives you good service by checking them out via payg SIM cards and also unlock your phone for free here https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form
Message 40 of 55