cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped usage would be nice - seems like O2 would rather we pay more

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recieved my bill for last mponth - it was the last thing I neededand didn't expect.

I finished my last work contect in November and have been job seeking.

I left my wife at the end of Jan as well - so am sofa surfing at the moment - with all the people wanting to talk to me I went over my allowance (Not realising and for the first - and only - time)

My bill has goe from san average of £24 to £108!

I called to check and they say it was all legitimate - I checked the online bill and I seem to have made in the region of 20 calls with an average of 25 minutes each so well over y 300 minutes allowance.

When I asked if my phone could be capped I was told that the system does not allow it.

I will be watching my useage extremely carefully until my phone contract runs out - then I will change to a provider that allows capping - e.gTESCO.

BE VERY CAREFUL PEOPLE!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 (quite rightly IMO) have the stance that they expect people to monitor their own usage and take responsibility for their own usage. 

They provide a number of different ways to monitor your own usage

- text service (21202)

- myo2 online access

- myo2 app

- call 202

Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Indeed. Contracts are provided to adults and are given various ways to monitor the usage on the contract. My 13 year old knows to use the text service, it teaches him some responsibility.

Put it the other way, imagine you have a cap on your phone but need to contact someone in an emergency but can't because you've been capped?
Message 12 of 14

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@a_hcir wrote:
 o2 obviously have the technology to cap contracts, because as you rightly say they run tesco mobile, ....

O2 do not run Tesco mobile, Tesco uses the O2 network for it's signal in the same way that Sainsbury's uses Vodafone. The only MVNO with a direct relation to O2 is GiffGaff who are also owned by Telefonica.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

O2 do not run Tesco mobile, Tesco uses the O2 network for it's signal in the same way that Sainsbury's uses Vodafone. The only MVNO with a direct relation to O2 is GiffGaff who are also owned by Telefonica.

Kinda. Tesco mobile is a joint venture between Telefonica UK and Tesco, ownership is a 50:50 split IIRC.

Message 14 of 14