Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling O2 & Direct Debits

JAY81UK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My O2 account was disconnected today and my number ported to a different company.

My bill is normally taken on the 5th of the month and I have recently had a bill dated 22nd May - 21st June, which will be taken on the 5th.

Am I able to cancel my direct debit so that when my final bill is generated, it will confirm the total amount I owe? I don't want to pay a whole month when I've had about 5 days service.

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@JAY81UK 

You have to pay 30 days from when you gave notice, so depending on when that was, you may be billed for more than 5 days.

It's OK to cancel the DD but just make sure you check your MyO2 and don'tforget to pay some other way. 

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-Pay-Your-Bill-Contract/ba-p/1014090 

PS. If you over pay, it will be refunded automatically if you are owed less than £20.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

JAY81UK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. However, I started a new 30 day contract by changing from a 12 month one last week. O2 gurus have confirmed 3 times that I will only pay for the few days I had and not the 30 days.
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
OK, just keep an eye on your MyO2 for your bill then.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@JAY81UK Do not cancel your Direct Debit until your bill is zero. There's no harm in keeping it open. We have heard of horror stories from people who cancelled too soon and had their credit rating messed up for years as a result. If you've followed the proper cancellation procedure there should be nothing extra taken from your account other than what you owe.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 9

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10668 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @JAY81UK 

The advice regarding DD from @Bambino 

is critical ~ keep your credit rating safe

make absolutely sure you are fully paid up.

Best wishes 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will be billed from the 22nd to the 28th and that should be taken by direct debit. Wait until that has been paid before cancelling it. Presumably your device has been paid for if you are on a Refresh contract?

If simo then as above.

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd let the billing system collect your last bill by DD as my time as a mod on a now defunct mobile related forum taught me it was best to do that as the people would often cancel their DD and pay what they believed they owed and find to their horror months later their credit report had been trashed by a billing system that had registered a default because it couldn't collect on a DD arrangement.

I saw this happen on a number of UK providers and it took a while to sort out and meanwhile house or car purchases had fallen through.

It's not really worth risking it.

Message 8 of 9

Foddersin
Level 3: Thinker
  • 68 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Really I would say the best solution to this from a customer relations stand point if you have signed a thirty day rolling SIM would be to just release without notice and terminate and transfer the number to the other SIM still with O2. You would obviously still be liable to pay what the cost would be in daily line rental up to the date of termination.

Just saying that's what I'd do for a Vodafone customer, obviously I don't work for O2 so they might have a different process.

I wouldn't rely on what an agent is saying relating to not being charged, business rules would apply with O2 of thirty days notice as would Vodafone.

Kindest Regards,
Andrew.
Samsung Galaxy S10+ on O2 UK
Nokia 1 Plus on O2 UK
Message 9 of 9