Did you mean: 

Can send MMS but not receive them...

Jgcj
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime.

I'm on PAYG Text and Web tariff.

I don't keep my mobile data on constantly because I rarely use my 'phone for the net and if I do, I use wifi.

I know in order to send or receive MMS I need to switch it on.

I switch it on and it sends MMS no problem.

However if I receive MMS I then have to turn it on and press download. The download bar flashes and I get the "G" appear next to my mobile data symbol but it fails to download. 

I've checked settings and all appear correct.

Why can I send but not receive MMS?

Please help because other than this I am very happy with this 'phone.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Try adding MMS to this line....
APN type: default,supli,MMS
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Jgcj Not sure whats happening there...you may want to check your settings are all correct...?

Text Active to 2020. Save the settings that are sent back and reboot the phone....Have a look at this guide

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Servi...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 26

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Check messages settings and scroll down to ensure the box to automatically download mms is ticked.

You might also want to check your settings against these : 

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Servi...

Message 3 of 26

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

wouldn't recommend the automatically download MMS setting unless they've had the stagefright update...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 26

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
MMS will routinely fail on just G. You really need 3g as a minimum to receive.
Try downloading them when you have a better signal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 26

Jgcj
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for all your replies.

Settings were fine but I downloaded and installed again to make sure.

Auto retrieve was set (but as I don't keep my mobile data switched on all the time I don't suppose this would make much difference).

Re the 3G - how am I able to send MMS at home but not receive then please? Doesn't make sense. Also occasionally an H appeared. 

I've always been able to send and receive MMS from this location before with different 'phones so why not now?

Thanks again for any help.

Message 6 of 26

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I can't give you any exact technical reason for it but network signal will vary even when in the same location.
My suggestion to try when you have a strong 3g signal was just a way to ascertain if it was a network limitation or something else.......
I also know from experience that G is not good for MMS messages.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 26

Jgcj
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks.

I will be out later so shall try to download them from a different location and hope that works!

Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, @Jgcj! Keep us updated!

Message 9 of 26

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
One other point of note is that turning on data to receive an MMS after a notification has been received may also result in a fail.
For testing purposes, turn data on and then ask someone to send to you or send one to yourself.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 26