cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls to Landlines in Russia

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just heard from 02 that it is no longer possible to call a landline in Russia using 02. 02 has ended its contract with the Russian landline companies. 02 still promotes the fact that its customers can make (cheaper) calls to Russian landline numbers, particularly if you have the 02 International SIM card. This is simply NOT TRUE. 02 needs to revise its marketing policy and PR information as a matter of urgency

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Personally I would be looking at reimbursement for any top ups you have done and transferring to a different tariff if calling Russia was the only reason to get the International sim.

Message 11 of 25

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I have just heard from 02 that it is no longer possible to call a landline in Russia using 02. 02 has ended its contract with the Russian landline companies. 02 still promotes the fact that its customers can make (cheaper) calls to Russian landline numbers, particularly if you have the 02 International SIM card. This is simply NOT TRUE. 02 needs to revise its marketing policy and PR information as a matter of urgency

Just dialled a Russian landline number (Moscow) from my O2 International sim. The call went through no probs.

Message 12 of 25

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

....and the charge was £0.02/min as advertised

Message 13 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just dialled a Russian landline number (Moscow) from my O2 International sim. The call went through no probs.

Well that puts a different light on this @cyrillicguy  as the original poster said he was told something different by O2 CS when he had problems?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 25

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well that puts a different light on this @cyrillicguy  as the original poster said he was told something different by O2 CS when he had problems?

Before jumping to any conclusions, I'm thinking what if there was some problem with some particular regional landline operator in Russia, as there could be different telcos operating in different Rusian regions.

Message 15 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I see what you mean but @Anonymous said this in his opening post

I have just heard from 02 that it is no longer possible to call a landline in Russia using 02. 02 has ended its contract with the Russian landline companies.

He said he was told this by CS on March 8th?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 25

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

I have just heard from 02 that it is no longer possible to call a landline in Russia using 02. 02 has ended its contract with the Russian landline companies.

I'm just saying that there could be issues / ended relationship with some particular provider, whilst O2 CS told the OP that calls to any Russian landlines are possible no more.

I'm not insisting on that being the case, just theorizing... slight_smile Thinking

Message 17 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122360 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@cyrillicguy wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I'm just saying that there could be issues / ended relationship with some particular provider, whilst O2 CS told the OP that calls to any Russian landlines are possible no more.

I'm not insisting on that being the case, just theorizing... slight_smile Thinking

Well as you got through tonight @cyrillicguy  I am certainly not arguing...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143425 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
These kind of issues are often a dispute over pricing and happen quite often. They are, however, usually quickly resolved (for obvious reasons) so it is possible that is what has happened here and is now fixed ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
These kind of issues are often a dispute over pricing and happen quite often. They are, however, usually quickly resolved (for obvious reasons) so it is possible that is what has happened here and is now fixed ?

It does now seem that the problem is now resolved.

I have only been reporting what happened and what I have been told. For the last 5 days I had been unable to call 4 different landline numbers(3 in Moscow and one in St Pete)numbers I had never had any problem with in the past.(Calls to mobile numbers were unaffected)It was possible to call these numbers no problem using my own landline, or with a friend's EE/Orange phone, so the problem did seem to be with 02. Upon taking up the matter with 02 on Sunday,8th March, the explanation I was eventually given by 02 Customer Services was that it was no longer possible to call Russian landlines now or in the future using 02 because the contract between 02 and their Russian counterpart was ended.Upon asking whether the contract would be renewed or taken out with another company, I was told that this would depend on whether 02 felt there would be a sufficient number of its customers who wanted to call Russian landlines.

After viewing the posts last night and seeing that one member of the 02 community had managed to get through,this morning I tried all the landlines I had  previously had problems with and was able to call them no problem using my 02 phone. So it does look like the problem has been sorted. Long may it last.

Message 20 of 25