Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Apparent over use of o2 mobile broadband

Hi,

I have had a 3gb mobile broadband contract for some time now, in this time i have gone over my 3gb usage maybe once or twice max, and only ever by around £10's worth of usage, i went to check some emails last night and received an sms saying that b/c i had used £50 of data above my allowance they were cutting me off and said to contact CS, shocked wasn't the word!

I phoned CS and was told that my next bill is being charged at £221 odd because i have apparently used 1.5GB over my 3Gb monthly allowance, the guy on the phone said last night that on the 9th specifically i had used £120 of data! I don't know how theyve come up with these figures, but there is no way at all that i have used 150% of my allowed usage this month, with xmas and new year i haven't used much at all, and it's ludicrous that they think i have.

I spoke again to CS this morning and was told that it is being queried on their system and my data usage will be looked into, and also that they have some thing called a billshark?!?! that can be used when somebody who rarely has a large bill suddenly has a huge one, like me, the only prob being that she says b/c i have previously gone over by £10 or so, once or twice, that the billshark may not work for me as i have gone over before and presumably they see no difference to going over by £10 last november and now going over by almost £200.

I'm really worried about this as we've just had a new baby and with xmas etc i don't have that sort of money kicking about to pay off an astronomical broadband bill and the only way forward for me if they can't cancel it is for me to cancel the DD, which would then lead to bailiffs and debt collectors, and obv no internet, which would be a major pain, i have no idea what to do here and am praying that when i phone back on friday they have sorted it all out.

Also, i never received an text messages about going over, as you usually do, until yesterday when 2 came through, one from the 11th, saying that i have used all of my allowance this month, further usage costs 20p per mb, and then another on the 12th saying that i have used £50 over my usage and ive been cut off, to then phone and be told that i have used £200 over my usage was just unbelievable, has anybody had any problems like this before??
Highlighted
Anonymous

I did get a letter from 'Network Risk Management' once warning me that I was going over my 'unlimited' web allowance, asking me to moderate my usage. Never had any extra charges though.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Why not check on your computer to see how much data you have used?
Highlighted
Anonymous

I don't know if o2 can do this, but it might be worth asking them if they have a log of times it was used and sites visited.

As for the bill, first and foremost remain calm.
If o2 can do the above, look at the history see when it was used and see if someone else may of used it without your consent.

Next step, explain your situation to o2, see if they can be understanding and you can reach an agreement over repayment. Don't simply cut the Direct Debit as it will hurt your credit rating, it's easier to damage than repair your rating.

If that doesn't work, then I'm stumped at the moment as to what else could be done, let me mull it over.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Some massive automatic Windows / Virus Checker / Program update?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Some massive automatic Windows / Virus Checker / Program update?

Thats what i think. There's not really an excuse for going over your useage now that connection manager has a bar on it to check your useage with the click of a button.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I don't know if o2 can do this, but it might be worth asking them if they have a log of times it was used and sites visited.

O2 can't see the sites visited as far as I am aware as it would be a breach of DPA, or at least that is what I have been told.

O2 do have Bill shock, like you were told and they give it only once. As long as you have never claimed bill shock before (which I assume if it is only £10 you have gone over before you wouldn't have) then they will credit your account with these charges, but you wont be able to claim a second time so must watch your allowance from here on in.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone, specially chimp re: bill shock.

I know about the usage monitor with the connection manager and i use it, this is why i don't know why i have suddenly gone so far over, also the texts which you usually receive when approaching your limit never came through at all for me until i was cut off, when i was told i was £50 over my usage, i was expecting to pay a bill of £70 rather than £20 and would have took it on the chin, but to be told i have used 1.5GB extra is unbelievable, I've checked my virus software and windows update and no sizeable updates were downloaded on the 9th, which apparently is the date where i used £120 worth of mbs.

Thank you chimp for confirming the bill shock for me, I have gone over in the past but have never used this service as i knew i was going over my usage and made sure i used my dongle for essentials only thus knowing that i would only incur £10 or so of charges, this i dont mind, as i rarely even approach my usage limit let alone need to go over my usage and have been quite happy with the service up until now, hopefully they allow me to use the bill shock for this bill as it's certainly a shocker for me!
Highlighted
Anonymous

also having this problem!

this is also the first time i have ever gone over!

my limit is 3GB, and i went over to 3.11 so .11 is the amount i went over, and i am being charged an extra £99 pounds which is just outrageous! i mean how much do they charge per mb or whatever?
also they did not send me any txt!
Can o2 charge this much?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Your right it's outragous that they can charge so much for going over your quota. If you were on PAYG you could simply buy another 3GB for £15.