cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age confirmation

Anonymous
Not applicable

"You've got to be over 18 for this website."

Probably the most annoying "security feature".

Why don't you just check/confirm it by looking at my profile ?

Regards,

Matt

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Terms and conditions rule 5 applies

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/custom/page/page-id/TermsAndConditionsPage

However rule 6 and 6a has me a little puzzled. Anyone throw some light on this?

6.      The O2 Forum terms (link) apply to use of this O2 Forum for Young People. The following special terms also apply, and vary the general O2 Forum terms where appropriate:

a)         You must be 13 years of age or older to use the O2 Forum for Young People.

Never heard of that forum @jonsie  (An O2 Forum for Young people)...

So do our experts frequent that one to give advice and support to these 'young people'?

(I am going to take a wild guess here...and say no they don't?) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Theirs more to this forum as you know @Cleoriff

Lots of discussions go on in the off topic boards and on rare occasions the tone has been adult orientated.

Nothing obscene or undesirable BoB...that is why we have moderators surely?

Anyway this is dragging it away from my original point which I know is personal to me..

My 15 year old grandson, brighter with technology than I could ever aspire to...would love to be able to ask questions or join in phone related discussions with EXPERTS.

At the moment, he is unable to do that (unless he lies about his age)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 39

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Terms and conditions rule 5 applies

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/custom/page/page-id/TermsAndConditionsPage

However rule 6 and 6a has me a little puzzled. Anyone throw some light on this?

6.      The O2 Forum terms (link) apply to use of this O2 Forum for Young People. The following special terms also apply, and vary the general O2 Forum terms where appropriate:

a)         You must be 13 years of age or older to use the O2 Forum for Young People.

Never heard of that forum @jonsie  (An O2 Forum for Young people)...

So do our experts frequent that one to give advice and support to these 'young people'?

(I am going to take a wild guess here...and say no they don't?) wink

-------------------------------------

I believe it was an idea that O2 had to introduce a Young People's forum, so the rule is there but the forum never materialised.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 23 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thank you @perksie for confirming what I thought...:smileywink:

After that information you provided... I still maintain the same stance.

Young people are using smartphones and tablets more and more frequently.. Indeed, peer pressure often insists they are provided with the latest 'must have' device .

At the moment with age restrictions, they are unable 'legally' to register on this forum for help and support

I feel this needs re-assessing....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Did you manage to resolve the issue ?
Message 25 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous

Did you manage to resolve the issue ?

Or indeed BoB the much wider issue that developed as a result of the OP's original post....

I know anyone of any age can READ posts on here without registering or logging on....

Therefore I am still wondering why, unless they are 18, they can't join the forum to ask their many questions and gain expert advice....

As I said previously, if a parent or guardian is willing to stand as an advocate for the 'minor' then surely that would be acceptable?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 39

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think the 18 age limit is certainly set too high and I'm sure we have members under that age. With the advance of smartphones and their capabilities, youngsters are aquiring them at a much earlier age and can probably teach us a thing or two. There should be somewhere for them to turn to when wanting advice and the concept of a forum especially for them was a good idea. It's a shame that this wasn't implemented.

Message 27 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I think the 18 age limit is certainly set too high and I'm sure we have members under that age. With the advance of smartphones and their capabilities, youngsters are aquiring them at a much earlier age and can probably teach us a thing or two. There should be somewhere for them to turn to when wanting advice and the concept of a forum especially for them was a good idea. It's a shame that this wasn't implemented.

Totally agree @jonsie . I have mentioned frequently about my 15 year old grandson and his expertise with all types of technology.

He certainly would be most offended if his parents or me posted a question on here, on his behalf Smiley Mad

As for the Young Peoples Forum...this would only work if the same experts on here gave their time to that one as well.....(otherwise THAT could degenerate into a Facebook type chat forum) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I'd be up for that @Cleoriff

Probably learn more knowledge than share it.

wink
Message 29 of 39

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 30 of 39