Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Charges (abroad)

Caro977
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve picked up £12.90 of additional costs whilst in Canada and the USA. I have had Data Roaming switched off the whole time and have not made or received any calls. I have sent 3 or 4 texts but only when on WiFi. Please can someone help me understand what’s going on and how to avoid more charges whilst I’m here? Thanks.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Texts will trigger the daily charge too @Caro977 but you should have all data off and preferably just be on airplane mode with wifi turned back on to use data over wifi only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Texts will trigger the daily charge too @Caro977 but you should have all data off and preferably just be on airplane mode with wifi turned back on to use data over wifi only.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Caro977
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your help. I’ll use Airplane mode for extra safety! Only one text is listed though so it looks like somehow I’m being charged for data even though I’ve got roaming turned off. I’ve now turned off the auto search service provider too.
Message 3 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Caro977 You posted the same thing in another thread not two hours ago, and your query was answered. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Additional-Charges-Abroad/m-p/1144619 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 9

Caro977
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry I’m new to the forum and was having difficulty tracking my post.
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Caro977 wrote:
Thanks for your help. I’ll use Airplane mode for extra safety! Only one text is listed though so it looks like somehow I’m being charged for data even though I’ve got roaming turned off. I’ve now turned off the auto search service provider too.

One text will unfortunately charge you the daily rate but airplane mode is the safest way to avoid any charges at all.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

No harm @Caro977. It just gets confusing when the same questions are asked and answered in different posts. Hopefully you have your answer now, and just remember to switch off your mobile data completely.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 9

Caro977
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have just spent 30 mins on the O2 Chat Line and have been issued a £10 credit. I do find it puzzling though that a small data charge is being racked up every day I am abroad even though Data Roaming is turned off. There are 3 of us travelling so if the same applies to their networks it amounts to quite a cost. Thanks to your advice I’ve advised everyone to switch on Airplane mode but I haven’t heard of having to do that before.
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144208 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Pleased they have refunded you some of the charges. Modern smartphones will do anything to connect to the internet so it's good advice to tell the others too to avoid charges.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9