cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions....

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone!

I am sure this will be the first of many posts picking your brains!

To recap I'm a new O2 customer and I have switched from over four years of iPhone use to android with the Sony Z3 compact handset which I received last night. My questions are:

1. I'm not writing the phone off just yet. I do like it but I'm not crazy mad about it... Yet. I wondered, under the 14 day cooling down period, I appreciate the handset has to be returned with no scratches etc.. But is it OK to remove the factory plastic covering on the front and back? Well mainly the back because I'd like to give the camera a good test.

Also with the 14 day cool down period, if I was to return the handset would it need to reach the returns department within the 14 days or would o2 just have to be at least notified within the 14 days?

2. The reason I've gone for a change from the iPhone is because I wasn't impressed with the iPhone 6 and perhaps the next release will be better. I took an o2 refresh tariff so that I could easily change my handset if I needed to before the 24 months.

I'd like to know if I am on a refresh contract, paying £28 a month (£18 airtime and £10 towards the handset), in say a year's time when I've paid around £220 towards the phone (I paid £99 also upfront) if I wanted a new phone (or change providers) would I be expected to pay just £120 (the remaining £10 x 12 months) making it a total of £340 paid for the phone? I'm confused because the handset is worth £413, so o2 would be losing money if this was the case.

That is what I was lead to believe from the gentleman I spoke to in the store plus that's how I understand it from the website.

3. Androiders... The handset didn't come with a notes app (like ios notes) nor an app for reminders or to make a list (like ios reminders) are there any alternative apps you'd recommend?

4. To help conserve the health of your battery, is it true you must ideally only charge your phone when the battery has completely run out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and once again sorry for rambling on 😀 x
Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

1, yes that's fine to remove.
You would need to inform Customer Services within 14 days of your intention to return.

2, ask O2 cust Service to make sure your off iData settings so you're internet works ok. With refresh you have a handset plan and airtime plan.

If you pay up the handset plan which is however months you have left x the handset amount you can upgrade again when ever you want ,or just keep paying the airtime plan or cancel the airtime plan with no penalty ,and either walk away or migrate to another network via a pac code. If using a pac code then theirs not even a need to phone O2 to cancel as the process of the other network using the pac within 28 days of issue cancels the O2 contract.

3, their are some in Google play I believe to choose from. Read the reviews and try them out. What does for someone may not do for you.

4, No. Modern batteries are made to be topped up when and where needed. I do calibrate my battery once a month however which is to let it go below 10% and then recharge it to 100%

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

1, yes that's fine to remove.
You would need to inform Customer Services within 14 days of your intention to return.

2, ask O2 cust Service to make sure your off iData settings so you're internet works ok. With refresh you have a handset plan and airtime plan.

If you pay up the handset plan which is however months you have left x the handset amount you can upgrade again when ever you want ,or just keep paying the airtime plan or cancel the airtime plan with no penalty ,and either walk away or migrate to another network via a pac code. If using a pac code then theirs not even a need to phone O2 to cancel as the process of the other network using the pac within 28 days of issue cancels the O2 contract.

3, their are some in Google play I believe to choose from. Read the reviews and try them out. What does for someone may not do for you.

4, No. Modern batteries are made to be topped up when and where needed. I do calibrate my battery once a month however which is to let it go below 10% and then recharge it to 100%
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Band of Brothers - very helpful.

So just clarify about my refresh query, it is basically fine to just pay off the outstanding device plan at any point during my contract and walk away with no further payments. What is idata settings?

I have tried a few of the popular note apps from the play store : Google keep, color note, ink pad and one other which I deleted straightaway and I've forgotten the name - none of which I've really been taken by. I just asked for possible recommendation because sometimes there is the odd gem which may not be 'main stream' and not particularly easy to discover.

Thanks again x
Message 3 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
For notes try Evernote.
iData is data specifically for iPhone. The Z3 uses standard data. Your "My O2" should confirm which data package you are on.
If it's wrong just call CS on 202 and ask them to change it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
ps, your My O2 will also give you a running total, month by month, of how much you owe on your phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You're welcome.

Yes that's the beauty of refresh.

In essence your not locked into a long contract as you can as you suggest pay the handset plan up at any time ,and indeed walk away with the phone or upgrade again etc.

iData is a setting on your account that is applied if you use an iPhone. Customer services will sort out this for you on 202 to ensure your on the correct settings.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi everyone!

3. Androiders... The handset didn't come with a notes app (like ios notes) nor an app for reminders or to make a list (like ios reminders) are there any alternative apps you'd recommend?

4. To help conserve the health of your battery, is it true you must ideally only charge your phone when the battery has completely run out?

Hi @Anonymous    There is a very useful note app called ColorNote which is simple to use and has reminders as well as ability to "lock"  individual notes as required so that they are private

With regard to battery I think the make/model and usage of phone determine battery life but from what I read it is best NOT to let a battery run completely dead and unnecessary to charge it to 100% -  I have seen recommendations that keeping charge between 40% and 80% is optimal.

Best wishes

Gerry 

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone! That's all my questions answered!

I was just confused about the refresh as O2 would be losing out if i just paid off the device plan after 12 months and if I chose to leave the network as they wouldn't be at least getting more airtime payment from me.

I'll wait til Monday to give the phone a proper fun for it's money as I am back at work and I can see how much battery is left after a typical working day and the reception on the train journey into London.

Thanks again all
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the phone.

😄
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I use Evernote, free upgrade to premium for 12 months with O2.

Another useful app is My Phone Explorer Client which I use. Also has a handy note option.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&hl=en

Message 10 of 11