Did you mean: 

4g to 5g - Iphone 12

DannyBs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Any thoughts on the below much appreciated.

When the iPhone 12 came out last year, I renewed my contract to get one, but once inserted the new 5g chip didn't work.

I took the old chip out of my iPhone XS and put it in the 12 and it worked straight away once again.

I have no phone or networks problems at all with the new phone/old chip combo, but does this mean that I'm not going to get the benifit of 5g at all? If I'm paying for it, may as well have it I guess.

Wondering what to do next.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@DannyBs 

5g is free so you're not paying extra for it, but to get 5g you need to do a SIM swap from your old SIM.

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

If you still have the original 5g SIM, you can use that or call customer service for a new one. 

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@DannyBs 

5g is free so you're not paying extra for it, but to get 5g you need to do a SIM swap from your old SIM.

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

If you still have the original 5g SIM, you can use that or call customer service for a new one. 

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

DannyBs
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah, OK MI5, thanks.

I think I still have the new sim, but as it's a couple of months old, would it still be ready to go active?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@DannyBs 

Yes, it will be fine.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4