cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G problem not solvable by o2 guru

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got problem which online o2 gurus and one shop have been unable to solve.  Just wondering if anyone here has any ideas.  Sorry this is a bit of a long explanation.

I have been an o2 customer for many years, first as a pay monthly contract 3g, but the last two years I have been on 4g pay and go.  Two weeks ago I decided to convert to contract (Simplicity) as the cost of a 4G tariff is now the same as my pay and go, and I'd like to take advantage of the 'unlimited' data on O2 Travel.

When I got my new pay monthly SIM, I found that I could only get 3G on it.  Swapping back my pay and go SIM achieved 4G immediately and consistently on the same handset (LG Nexus 5).  O2 customer care took me through a number of things I'd mostly already tried (eg APN re-entry) and then concluded I'd been sent a 3G sim card.  The agent issued a new sim, which I tried and found had the same problem.  Further attempts to fix it with another O2 guru via online chat, including 'boosting my signal' yielded nothing.  He then suggested I take it into a shop, which I did yesterday.  The shop claimed they were familiar with this problem, issued me another SIM and advised me to go home wait for the new sim to be activated when I should get 4G.  Of course, that failed.

Things that have been tried:

- APN deletion and re-entry. 

- switching 4G Recommended off and on

- handset restarts

- as described, 3 new pay monthly SIMs

One idea I have had relates to the fact that I used to have a pay monthly SIM on my account, before I ported that number to my current pay and go.  My plan is to port to the new 4G pay monthly SIM when I am happy with it.  I wonder if the old pay monthly contract is somehow interfering with the ability of the network to fully configure my new pay monthly contract.  (This reminds me that when I set up my pay and go SIM, O2 had a great deal of trouble merging the pay and go onto the same account so that I could see its details in My O2. I wonder if the source of the issue could be there?)

I'm about 7 days from the end of the cool down period, so I need to cancel my contract by then unless I can resolve the problem.

Any ideas muchly appreciated!

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It certainly seems account related issues. I can only suggest that customer service disconnect the account from the system and reconnect as it seems linked to the previous monthly account somehow. It's obviously not a handset issue if the APN are correct.

Can you take a screen shot of the Apns and post them?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It certainly seems account related issues. I can only suggest that customer service disconnect the account from the system and reconnect as it seems linked to the previous monthly account somehow. It's obviously not a handset issue if the APN are correct.

Can you take a screen shot of the Apns and post them?

Message 2 of 15

MI5
  • 144322 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
100% it's because 4g isn't enabled on your account.
It's only something CS can do.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what they keep telling me they have done.  I shall probably call them tonight and try to get hold of a team leader who can consider that I have an old deleted pay monthly and a new pay monthly.  In My O2 these have different account numbers.

Message 4 of 15

MI5
  • 144322 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what they keep telling me they have done.

Telling you and actually doing it are two different things.

If no luck with CS, escalate it to complaints http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the same issue pannetony. I have an iPhone 5s on O2, was on a 2 year 4g contract which I've just upgraded to a SIM only simplicity 4g ready tariff (£18 PM). Since upgrading I have lost 4g connection. Despite trying 2 different SIMs and various conversations with so called "guru's" no one is able to get it working...Any ideas?!
Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 144322 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The same advice as above applies to you too I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi MI5, by CS I take it you mean customer services? If so I spoke to them yesterday. First I spoke with someone in network services who advised me that 4g wasn't activated on my account. So he put me thru to customer services who denied this was the issue and instead blamed a planned network outage. So earlier today I went into an o2 shop, who also said it wasn't an activation issue and other than suggesting another SIM their only other suggestion was to upgrade my phone as "it must be a problem with my handset"..if it's as simple as just activating the 4g on my account I don't understand how these so called gurus don't know this?! I think I'll try the complaints link above!
Message 8 of 15

MI5
  • 144322 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Complaints is the best route tbh if cs is a brick wall.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thanks for the advice!
Message 10 of 15