Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Belfast

Nisky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting a 4G signal in Belfast  (BT4) Stormont area. Hope it's not just for the Giro D'Italia to fool the visiting media.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry  @jonsie did not intend to stray off topic.  Nothing to report as regards 4G in Belfast.  I did pass through parts of that miserable town today on my way to search for a Peregrine Falcon in Whitehead, County Antrim but my trusty Galaxy S4 did not detect any 4G signal.  However, I am not complaining about that as thankfully I spend very little time in Belfast (local maps still indicate there be dragons there!). As long as 4G arrives full strength in this neck of the woods in the not too distant future I will be a happy O2 bunny.  That is, I promise, my last word on the subject for at least a month.

Gerry

(I am a well balanced person - I have a chip on each shoulder.)

Message 31 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep Off Topic we went but back again. No harm done.

It does sound like 4g it's being tested there Gerry so don't be surprised if speeds go up and down during the testing phase. It will then likely go off for a while before being turned on to much fanfare in the local press.
Message 32 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It will then likely go off for a while before being turned on to much fanfare in the local press.

The local press is unlikely to sound any fanfare until at least 3 months after the event but when it does @Anonymous I will blow the O2 trumpet as loudly as anyone.  

Gerry

Message 33 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as speed tests go, I only had 4 bars for 4G when I did it, but my speed test gave 41MB/s download and 7.53MB upload. I suspect if I had full 5 bars they would have been higher. Next time I think of it when I'm out and about, i'll try with the full 5 bars. I did it previously when I only had 2 bars and it was around 11MB/s download. I can seemlingly get 4G everywhere around town, in the house (where I don't need it as I have wifi) I can get 3 bars of 4G signal, but outside it's 4 or usualy 5 constantly and the signal is veyr robust. No dropped calls, no blips or noise on the line forcing me to ask people to repeat themselves as I couldn't hear them. In fairness, you'd have thought this is what 2G phone signal should be and the higher verisons just gave faster data. It seems I had to wait until 4G to get a decent, stable signal for a phone call!

Message 34 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fabulous news @Anonymous and thank you for the update.

FYI As o2 go round upgrading to 4g, they are also upgrading 2g and 3g at the same time, hence why you have seen an overall improvement in performance and service delivery.

Hopefully this will give comfort to @Anonymous too. 😆
Message 35 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thanks @Anonymous Will keep the group up-to-date if/when 4G signal is regularly and reliably detectable in this area of South Eastern Antrim.

Gerry

Message 36 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, a bit late to the party. I live in Lisburn and have had 4G steadily for about 2 weeks now. Best download speed I've had is 42.37Mb down and 9.72 up. Looking forward to having this in Belfast at my office with a stronger indoor signal...
Message 37 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  Hello - I have sent you a PM. Would be interested to know in what part of the City for Everyone you are getting the 4G.

Gerry

Message 38 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
See @Anonymous I told you 4g was coming your way weeks ago lol 😊
Message 39 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
See @Anonymous I told you 4g was coming your way weeks ago lol 😊

You did indeed @Anonymous and you were right.  I just don't understand why my S4 (which is 4G ready with the appropriate SIM and tariff )  can't  seem to detect it, particularly when I live so close to an O2 mast which I can see at this very moment as I gaze out of the window.  The best I can get is the H+ in the status bar.

Gerry

Message 40 of 84