Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Belfast

Nisky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting a 4G signal in Belfast  (BT4) Stormont area. Hope it's not just for the Giro D'Italia to fool the visiting media.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect if you were able to pick up 4g that o2 may have installed the equipment and were testing it.
Message 11 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

An interesting theory @Anonymous  - it would at least be a mini-step in the right direction.  

Gerry

Message 12 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

This has happened in other areas hence the suggestion. I think that is your neck of the woods isn't it? If so I hope I am right.
Message 13 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks piperdog123. Yes Belfast is a wee town about 8 miles north(ish) of Lisburn City which is my home area.
Gerry
Message 14 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've taken my EE temporary SIM to work with me and can't believe how strong the signal is. Calls are rock solid, no breaking up, no dropped calls, I've full signal constantly and 4G at my desk in work when I'm not on works wifi, with O2 I can't even get a 3G signal in most places around the town and my signal strength is always 2 or 3 bars. Texting them looking balance, number or other information is unbelievable, you receive your info before the message you have sent is confirmed as sent by the phone. It's lightening fast.

O2 are a great network to be on as everyone I know is and that means free calls and texts to everyone, but I can't believe that their network is so shoddy, especially here, which means I've been forced to move elsewhere and I'm glad I have. A much better network it seems and with the pay monthly deal I currently have, I don't have to worry about phone calls/texts costing me to O2 (and they shouldn't cost my O2 friends anything either) so there's no need to be on the same network any more really. The grass really is greener in this instance!

Message 15 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow @Anonymous  - That certainly is a ringing endorsement for 4G - I can't wait for it to arrive in this neck of the woods.  Unfortunately I am tied to O2 for a while yet - us poor pensioners cannot afford more than one phone and/or contract at a time.  Cue violins.........

Glad you are enjoying 4G.

Gerry

Message 16 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paddy-Campbell that sounds great about EE and as an occassional visitor to Bangor I guess I will have to unlock my phone and take an EE sim. 

Message 17 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was near Lisburn Town (sorry, City) Centre this afternoon and my Galaxy S4 indicated 4G signal for the first time.  Ookla Speedtest reported 14.11Mbps download and 5.64Mbps upload - not the head-spinning performance I was expecting bearing in mind all the hype there has been about 4G.

Have now returned home (about one mile from where the 4G was detected) to find that although there is an O2 mast about 280 yards away (as the Rook flies)  4G has not yet managed to wend its way here and download speed has now reverted to the more normal level of 0.66Mbps.  

Gerry

Message 18 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

If the mast is still in test mode then the speeds you got are fine. During testing various speed tests are actioned and then o2 perform an optimiser which is intended to set the 4g cell to the best performance it can offer reliably.
Message 19 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous  - be careful climbing that ladder!

I am sure a lot of testing has to be carried out and all will be well in due course.  Patience never was high up my list of virtues.  Smiley Very Happy

Gerry

("I am extraordinarily patient provided I get my own way in the end.")

Message 20 of 84