Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G in Belfast

Nisky
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Getting a 4G signal in Belfast  (BT4) Stormont area. Hope it's not just for the Giro D'Italia to fool the visiting media.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news - hope some of it might waft up to Lisburn soon.   Does it make a noticeable difference to your download speeds?

Gerry 

Message 2 of 84

Nisky
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It does. Haven't tried timing anything but subjectively the BBC and Guardian apps downloaded their updates in a split second.

Edit: using a HTC One M7

Message 3 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent.  I have been told O2 hope to have 4G extending to Lisburn area by end of May.  Time will tell.

Gerry

Message 4 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wonder how long it will take them to give 4G to other parts of NI. Would be nice if they started with the 5 cities of NI first, so Armagh, Derry and Newry all got it as well as Lisburn and Belfast, the rest of NI in due course.

Message 5 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was also getting a 4G Signal at Stormont on Saturday and also at Titanic Quarter today.

Message 6 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to follow this up, there doesn't seem to be any O2 4G signal in NI yet that I have found. I have been having problems with O2 for some time now and they don't seem to be bothered in helping me, so I have decided to look at other networks. I notice that EE have already launched 4G in NI and it is available in quite a lot of areas here already. To test, I got a PAYG EE SIM and it works great signal wise and I can get 4G everywhere around town with full signal most of the time. If anyone is looking 4G it is available here if you switch networks, but it seems for O2 and other networks, they will probably leave NI until last when upgrading their network and it could be the end of next year before it arrives here.

Message 7 of 84

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Using PAYG sims to check live network coverage is something we always advise on here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Have not detected any 4G in or around Lisburn area - and that is confirmed by O2's online Coverage Checker which plainly states " Sorry, we do not have coverage here." in respect of 4G in the area.  But then what O2 say and what O2 mean often bear no relation to reality.  :O))

Gerry

PS - by the way O2 has been indicating for several weeks now that in Lisburn "we are experiencing high service demand in this area.  A mast close to your location is experiencing a high level of demand for service. This can cause intermittent service for calls, texts and data. We’re working to improve it as quickly as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience."     I suspect the mast in question may be overloaded because of my persistent attempts to obtain from O2 any information of the provision of 4G in this area.

Message 9 of 84

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to O2's own coverage checker, there is no 4G available at all in NI. So, why were you and others able to pick something up a few weeks ago I wonder? Was it indeed to fool visitors here during the Giro d'Italia into thinking we had decent mobile signal? wink

Anyway, considerig my problems with O2 recently, once my number port has completed to EE I'll not have to worry about O2 any more, thankfully!

Message 10 of 84