cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Network in Leeds & Bradford City Centre

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was quite shocked when I was in Leeds city centre and in Bradford city centre when using 4G. I ran a speedtest in both city centre and was shocked that I could only get between 6 and 8 Mbps! What happened to 4G being the fastest speed available? I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S5 which is 4G and uses cat 4 which in theory should reach 150 Mbps! What is going on? I get 34mbps download and 11mbps upload when at home which is 11 miles outside the city centre. Anyone know why? I was in an open space when trying the speedtest in both cities but your think that the cities would have the top 4G speeds. Leeds and Bradford were two of the first cities where o2 released 4G so you'd expect to speeds but I guess not.

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous thanks for the advice. Didn't realise! I use the speedtest.net one made by ookla. I have had problems with my WiFi at home so been using it to test my WiFi speed to report to my bb provider. The news report actually pushed me to comment on here. Not likely we'll get a response from o2 on this!

My pleasure. 😄

Reporting speed tests and network issues via the MYNETWORK App is one of the few things you can do and hope they take your feedback onboard. 

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

im in Leeds on 4g and attain 

image.jpg

I wonder if the masts where you were was suffering from mast congestion when you ran the tests ? Possible. 

Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bit worrying if 4g services are already suffering congestion.

Heaven help those of us that only have 2g
Message 3 of 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
4g cells cannot suffer from congestion in the same way as 3g does because the cells don't breathe. What can happen is that the fibre backhaul gets overloaded and slows down the transfer speeds.
In all honesty I've never seen anything above 20mbps on O2 4g so I'd be happy with your 34meg anyday slight_smile
You won't see 150meg as the infrastructure is not in place in the UK to deliver those speeds yet (EE are currently testing but that's it) so it makes no difference what the phone is capable of at the minute.
I also believe O2 cap at 50meg anyway.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Hope your ok ?

I agree.

If speeds are slowing down.

I feel for users who have no or weak 3G and actually drop below. 😔
Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is 3g? Here in the South West we are unaware of this and a Google search didn't bring up much either.
Message 6 of 27

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
What is 3g? Here in the South West we are unaware of this and a Google search didn't bring up much either.

It's a rare sight anywhere these days mate.... not just in the SW wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry Buddy.  😒

Message 8 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 and @Anonymous and @Anonymous thanks for your comments. I actually tried at different times if the day as I was in each city for a full day. @MI5 as soon as you mentioned EE I got a shudder lol. Seriously though your post clicked something in my head about an article I had read. The 150mbps is cat 6 4G which is essentially 4G+ which EE are testing now.

All in all I agree with @Anonymous about congestion, if it's like that now, the speeds are no different than on 3G!

@Anonymous I'm not sure if you're joking or serious about the 3G comment but save to say that 3G is the internet signal that almost all of the UK can access. 3G has been around for quite a number of years now.
Message 9 of 27

MI5
  • 144860 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous I'm not sure if you're joking or serious about the 3G comment but save to say that 3G is the internet signal that almost all of the UK can access. 3G has been around for quite a number of years now.

I believe it is sarcasm wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 27