cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4444 fails to accept keyed option

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using Pay as you go. I dial 4444 for top up but O2 will not accept the choice of option that I key in. For example the automatic voice asks me to key in "1" to top up by debit or credit card but the automatic voice then ignores my choice. 

I am having to top up using my web site

Please advise on what I should do. It has taken me and my friends over three hours to try to resolve this and there is now urgency about getting it sorted out. Incidentally I have found O2 incredibly unhelpful - quite the worst customer service I have ever come across. Should I change company?  

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phones4u solved the problem. Although I design websites and run my life and businesses on emails and the web I have never before had a mobile phone. That was the problem. Apparently it is standard practise for automatic voices to ask you to key in an option and then there is no acknowledgement. You just keep going and they just keep talking. With O2 topup you go through two options, followed by keying in the credit card number. At no stage do you get an acknowledgement or a "beep" recognising that you have keyed in an option. The numbers you have keyed in remain on the screen apparently lifeless. Apparently it is also accepted that if you make a mistake when keying in, for instance with your credit card number, you have to switch off and start again. I was so used to "normal" phones and web facilities that I thought mobiles were far less primitive and basic than they are.

It is just like web design - people who are used to doing it cannot see beginner's problems. O2 technical support has no way of dealing with a simple problem and I wasted hours trying to get somebody at O2 to answer a non-standard question. When I did get a person and explained the problem they immediately switched me back to the automatic system - although I asked them not to. 

A simple beginner's misunderstanding which should have been resolved by any competent organisation within 2 minutes took me hours to sort out. The problem was a beginner's misunderstanding and an inaccessible O2 system.

Thanks for your help on the forum. Unfortunately, just like with web design, enthusiasts on forums tend not to understand beginner's problems. I do the same.  

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just tried it on my colleagues Pay as you go and works fine. 

Was it just you that had problens or did your friends as well. Maybe there was a technical problem and it is sorted now.

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I have tried Phones4U technical support - very helpful - they have done a factory reset. They still cannot get it to work. I am now going to a Phones4U branch. Desperation is setting in as I have a sick relative and a phone that is not working properly - and I have to run a business remotely. I think another phone and a move from O2 will be the answer!  

Message 3 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144854 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27774 Solutions
A factory reset to fix an issue with an call centre automated service, LOL, yep I can guarantee that WILL NOT work slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to phones 4 u for a network issue uh oh! Big mistake, you may end up with more problems than you bargained for. Give cs another call or use live chat or pop into your local store

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phones4u solved the problem. Although I design websites and run my life and businesses on emails and the web I have never before had a mobile phone. That was the problem. Apparently it is standard practise for automatic voices to ask you to key in an option and then there is no acknowledgement. You just keep going and they just keep talking. With O2 topup you go through two options, followed by keying in the credit card number. At no stage do you get an acknowledgement or a "beep" recognising that you have keyed in an option. The numbers you have keyed in remain on the screen apparently lifeless. Apparently it is also accepted that if you make a mistake when keying in, for instance with your credit card number, you have to switch off and start again. I was so used to "normal" phones and web facilities that I thought mobiles were far less primitive and basic than they are.

It is just like web design - people who are used to doing it cannot see beginner's problems. O2 technical support has no way of dealing with a simple problem and I wasted hours trying to get somebody at O2 to answer a non-standard question. When I did get a person and explained the problem they immediately switched me back to the automatic system - although I asked them not to. 

A simple beginner's misunderstanding which should have been resolved by any competent organisation within 2 minutes took me hours to sort out. The problem was a beginner's misunderstanding and an inaccessible O2 system.

Thanks for your help on the forum. Unfortunately, just like with web design, enthusiasts on forums tend not to understand beginner's problems. I do the same.  

Message 6 of 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Very odd, although you didn't say you had never done this before, and we all started in the same place and very few people seem to have any issue with that service.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The intelligence over common sense debate.... it happens to the best of us.

Message 8 of 8