Did you mean: 

Address problem joining O2

sealthedeal
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

I tried to join O2 on a pay monthly sim recently, but while entering my previous address for the credit check purposes the system shows that it cannot accept payments from this address.

When I called O2 directly, they said this is typically what happens when someone tries to enter a business address for which they cannot run credit checks. However, it is residential and they were able to see themselves on the Royal Mail website that it is a residential address – but for some reason the system would not let them overwride the issue as it typically does when this occurs.

For context, my address was "46-1 Street Address". It is a mixed business/residential area, e.g. "44 Street address" and "48 Street address" are businesses, but building 46 is solely residental with a seperate street entrance.

This is stopping me joining O2, and stopping me taking advantage of the O2 Volt deals which makes it even more frustrating as I am an existing Virgin Media customer.

Could anyone advise on how this could be escalted within O2 or perhaps a different support option to contact?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

AlexanderMTTH
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 74 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

That does not seem fair. I would suggest you raise a complaint with O2. 
Also, when I joined VM were able to give me a contract (that might help) but it was way below the market offer. Have a look here: https://www.o2.co.uk/sites/default/files/2018-08/Customer%20Complaints%20Code_0.pdf if you want to raise a complaint. 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
Message 2 of 6

sealthedeal
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks @AlexanderMTTH, that looks a useful option.

Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

If it is payments then it could be someone has committed fraud from that Address in the past and its now on a black list.

Just to add that Royal Fail isnt the only provider of post code data, this is more than not to big enterprises provided by the likes of Equifax or Experian, as it links into the Credit Check system.

This doesn't need a complaint as its pre-sales and as much as you arent going to like this but O2 can choose who to do business with. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

AlexanderMTTH
  • 74 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

If it is payments then it could be someone has committed fraud from that Address in the past and its now on a black list.

Just to add that Royal Fail isnt the only provider of post code data, this is more than not to big enterprises provided by the likes of Equifax or Experian, as it links into the Credit Check system.

This doesn't need a complaint as its pre-sales and as much as you arent going to like this but O2 can choose who to do business with. 

Although, you're right per se, and a business has the autonomy to choose to do, or not, business with you - on this occasion I don't think you're right. On the contrary, "someone" committing fraud at that address is even more of a reason to look into this from an investigation point of view (as a complaints team would).

On your model, if you buy a house and there was a crime committed there, a house insurance company will not cover you because someone else in there committed a crime you had nothing to do with?

If your assumption is correct, this crime/fraud at the address has nothing to do, allegedly, with OP and I strongly advise you, @sealthedeal, to ask for this matter to be looked at. Who knows what the root cause is, and if @madasaf1sh is right and your address is blacklisted, O2 will not be the only thing you can not get. Intelligence in these matters is portable, so most surely it will spill into other areas or data aggregators.

Make sure O2 will not do business with you as a reviewed choice, not as a systemic fault. Also, check with the Credit Reference Agency (CRA) and make sure your address is recorded correctly on your files. You can use free providers or get an annual statutory report for free from each of the 3 major (and 1 minor) CRA.

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
Message 5 of 6

sealthedeal
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi @AlexanderMTTH @madasaf1sh, thanks for your replies. As it happens I have the advantage of working in the anti-money laundering compliance sector, so have a very clear understanding of the way in which the three reference agencies and their intermediaries process these kind of checks in addition to the regulations concerning how unrelated persons financial histories impact those at the same address.

I was under the impression that this forum, like the Virgin one, was a customer service venue with direct contact with staff – so thought it may be a good way to be pointed to the right department. I see it's actually community led, so I will look to escalate this another way.

As @AlexanderMTTH suggsted, this is very likely a simple systems issue – the staff on the phone and their manager suggested likewise, but didn't have a route to escalate it. No doubt there is one, behind many onion layers of support!

Message 6 of 6