2 Contracts - change one phone number

alauren
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I have just taken a new contract out with O2. However, I also have another contract that ends in May 2019.

I'd like to keep my exsisting number and swap it to the new contract. I'd still like to keep the old contract but because I've swapped the number over to the new contract I'm happy for it to be allocated any random number.

Carphone warehouse have said if I take my number off my old contract and put it on my new one my old contract will auto close and I'll have to take the bill?

Is this right, what a stupid thing!! I want to keep both just move one number over.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

alauren
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't want to just swap the sims as my new contract has 30GB on data, and my old contract only has 5GB. In theory I could get my new number in May but I need more data.

I rang O2 last night, at first they explained that what I have been advised is correct.... However, there is a way that it can be done.

On my old contract with the number I want to retain I need to change the number. Then on my new contract I need to do a specific number change and request the number I want to keep. However, this will cost me £27.00

The man I spoke to was finishing his shift at 5pm, and said he would call back at 9am, still not had the call so thought I'd check whether anyone has heard of this before?

Worst comes to worse I'll just take on a new number but jusy would of rather retained mine.

Message 11 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@alauren Not heard of the number retention fee etc let us know how it goes if they call back 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 16

alauren
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know it seems strange doesn't it, and I'm concerned because I don't want to pay and it not work out. I'd rather discuss through live chat so I can be sure what they are saying, but that's not been working for days either.

I may give them a call soon, just hoped someone knew about this and that it will work out.

Message 13 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Live chat will know less than a real person on the phone @alauren @EmilieT can you ask a guru about the advice given in the posts above re fee to retain number 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 14 of 16

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hey @alauren and @adamtemp64, I'll see what information I can get on this on my end! As soon as I have more details I'll update you slight_smile

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, and Welcome to the Community @alauren!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 16

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @alauren, I just heard back from our gurus and it sounds like the information you were given is correct However they'd like to have a look with you at your account more specifically so I'll send you a Private Message to get a few mroe details slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 16 of 16