2 Contracts - change one phone number

alauren
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I have just taken a new contract out with O2. However, I also have another contract that ends in May 2019.

I'd like to keep my exsisting number and swap it to the new contract. I'd still like to keep the old contract but because I've swapped the number over to the new contract I'm happy for it to be allocated any random number.

Carphone warehouse have said if I take my number off my old contract and put it on my new one my old contract will auto close and I'll have to take the bill?

Is this right, what a stupid thing!! I want to keep both just move one number over.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yes, what you have been told is correct.
Moving the number will cancel the contract immediately and generate the final bill with early exit costs.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 3 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You can if all contracts on same network just put the number you want in the new phone ! I.e.swap sims between phones. Then do the number change when may 2019 contract comes to an end.
O2 do not care what phone you use as long as both connections are paid etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 16

chrisymon
  • 134 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Be careful by swapping sims, not something that should be advised  if  insurance required on device  If using 3rd party insurance proof of usge is required for that device  and sim and when they do not match  the claim can fail.!

Once you move a number from one contract to another it disconnects old account, and contract is then cancelled resulting in terms fees to be paid to next may. 

"I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited." Currently using S7 edge
Message 5 of 16

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 6 of 16

Kurenka
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I spoke to O2 a few days ago as my contract is up in January and for the phone I wanted their best upgrade deal over 2 years was going to cost me approx £1,200, while the best new contract (same phone, still with O2) I could get from elsewhere was going to be just £750 over 2 years, so it doesn't take a genius tro work out which option I'm going to go with. I asked if I could swap over these numbers immediately and I was told I could and continue to pay the 2 bills, I asked this several times to make sure my understanding was clear.
I have since purchased by new phone from elsewhere so if they try and hit me with early exit fees (big or small) I will be absolutely fuming as their Customer Service made zero mention of it.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I’d be prepared to fume.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@chrisymon wrote:

Be careful by swapping sims, not something that should be advised  if  insurance required on device  If using 3rd party insurance proof of usge is required for that device  and sim and when they do not match  the claim can fail. 

Surely you’d just get proof of usage from the network that was being used?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

My bank mobile phone insurance only wants proof of purchase I do not need to give any more than that only o2 insurance requires the 2 to match firm memory 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 16