cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 GB data top up this morning - gone by the afternoon?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I had a text message at 9am today saying that my monthly data allowance had run out. I was surprised but considered it possible. It's never happened before in the last 18 months. I therefore purchased 1 GB for £10 as a one-off top up. 

I received another text message at 5.30pm this afternoon saying the same thing! How on earth could I have used 1GB in half a day? I think there is something dodgy going on but can I get through to a human to discuss it?

Am I getting these text messages in error? Is there a problem with O2 measuring data? If so, I would like to get a refund.

Thanks

Lee

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm probably alone in thinking that's pants.

If the network is happy for someone to continue using throttled data and not charge them extra or deduct it from a refresh ,then they shouldn't take that from a data bolt on purchased.

Thanks for clarifying Adam.
Appreciate it.
Message 11 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter has also received texts stating that she has used almost all of her data allowance.  This is her first month on the refresh contract which has seen her allowance increased by 250 MB.  She has never previously used anywhere near her allowance.  She has apparenty used 10 MB in the space of about 10mins when she has been connected to wifi .  I cannot get in touch with anyone at 02 to discuss!!!  

Message 12 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My daughter has also received texts stating that she has used almost all of her data allowance.  This is her first month on the refresh contract which has seen her allowance increased by 250 MB.  She has never previously used anywhere near her allowance.  She has apparenty used 10 MB in the space of about 10mins when she has been connected to wifi .  I cannot get in touch with anyone at 02 to discuss!!!  

Data is used in the background by apps updating so make sure she closes them down every so often.

If she is using an iPhone when it goes into sleep mode it will auto revert to 3g as a battery saver.

When at home i turn off 3g and mobile data to force it to stay on wifi.

Using Siri uses data.

She can ring them on 202 or use Live Chat as they will be able to check her usage to see where the data is being used.

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobile/contactus

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/spending_saving/2012/11/16/10_ways_to_cut_your_mobile_phone_data_usage.html

Message 13 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

She has apparenty used 10 MB in the space of about 10mins when she has been connected to wifi .

There are no charges made by O2 for wi-fi use, depending on which phone she, has data needs to be turned off when using wi-fi to ensure no data use over GPRS.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 14