cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 GB data top up this morning - gone by the afternoon?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I had a text message at 9am today saying that my monthly data allowance had run out. I was surprised but considered it possible. It's never happened before in the last 18 months. I therefore purchased 1 GB for £10 as a one-off top up. 

I received another text message at 5.30pm this afternoon saying the same thing! How on earth could I have used 1GB in half a day? I think there is something dodgy going on but can I get through to a human to discuss it?

Am I getting these text messages in error? Is there a problem with O2 measuring data? If so, I would like to get a refund.

Thanks

Lee

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

It turns out that the 1GB top up was consumed rapidly since it was used to offset usage I had run up beyond the 1GB monthly allowance. That then left little available for use yesterday.

I have now bought *another* data top up and will see how long this one lasts.

I still haven't got to the bottom of what is using my data though I suspect it's probably a combination of dropbox / google+ syncing photos onto the cloud and my wife emailing me pics of the kids on holiday.

Ho hum, more money down the tubes.

Lee

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Evening,

Have you checked your my02 to see what data you have remaining.

Is it all used up ?

What phone are you using.

Do you have the 02 app downloaded which will tell you whats left of your bundle.

Or if your on payg text balance to 20202 and a return text will tell you what you have remaining.

Unless your doing a lot of data streaming such as watching films or downloding scores of songs etc etc ,then something obviously is not right.

If your on a contract your Internet wont stop but be throttled instead.

If your on payg then you will be able to use 50mb and be charged £1 per day.

If your on a contract then ring 202.

If your on payg then ring 4445.

Customer Services will explain whats being used, and if their is an error I would expect them to restore the data taken in error.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There.

Thanks for replying. I did go to myO2 after the second text and it does indeed indicate that 2GB of data has been used. That being my usual 1GB allowance plus the 1GB purchased earlier today.

Clearly I have no idea what it would have indicated had I looked this morning.

Normally I use about 0.5 GB in a given month so I am at a loss to explain the large data consumption this month - and indeed 1 GB used in the space of 8 hours or so today.

I have a Samsung S2 nearing the end of my 24 month contract. I have no explanation as to why it may have suddenly increased its data usage.

I will ring 202 tomorrow. There were only automated menus available today none of which would have helped me with my issue.

Thanks for the assistance.

Lee
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

In the meantime you could download an app such as Onavo which will show you which app is using your data. (If indeed your data is being used and not an error)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en_GB

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.

Would you resolve your thread by re posting to let us know what has happened.

Hope all goes Ok.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

It turns out that the 1GB top up was consumed rapidly since it was used to offset usage I had run up beyond the 1GB monthly allowance. That then left little available for use yesterday.

I have now bought *another* data top up and will see how long this one lasts.

I still haven't got to the bottom of what is using my data though I suspect it's probably a combination of dropbox / google+ syncing photos onto the cloud and my wife emailing me pics of the kids on holiday.

Ho hum, more money down the tubes.

Lee

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Procedures you list will use a fair bit but 1gb in such a short space of time unless you've really banged it !!

I thought contract customers were not charged for going over but throttled instead.
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

They aren't charged for going over their allowance and data is slowed down to be almost unusable. However, if you buy extra data, then any data you used over your allowance is automatically deducted from the bolt on. Unused extra data does not carry over either.

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if a contact customer say goes over their data cap and just continue to use throttled 3G when their tariff refreshes and data counter resets is any taken from that ?
Message 9 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

NO only if you buy the additional bolton

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 14