Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top up

LG2004
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there. I have encountered an issue in terms of making phone calls. I can contact all of the people that's in my contacts, except from one. It's asking me top up, but i have already topped up. The person who i have been trying to contact hasn't blocked my number or anything and i can contact them by using 141. I'm trying to fix it, but i can't, and I'm wondering if there's anything i can do to fix this.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@LG2004 

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this. You can also call 4445 for customer service.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35758 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

It could be a corrupted number in your contacts - try making a note of the number, then delete that contact and re-enter it from scratch, @LG2004.  I had a similar issue trying to send an SMS to 85075, the contact imported from my last phone kept failing, until I manually sent the SMS to the number 85075, typed in manually.  Sadly, if I delete the old contact, I may lose the history of my SMS to that number, as the old and manually entered short-code both appear as different numbers, despite appearing to be identical.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 7

LG2004
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

No, no. It's not a corrupted number as i could call them everyday. It's only started to be an issue since Friday and i don't understand how it's happened. Everything has been completely fine before then.

Message 4 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35758 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

Has the other person set up a call-divert for calls incoming from your number to another network or number that is outside your free calls (eg a non-geographical number, for example)?  That's possibly one way I can see, aside from Contacts corruption, that would trigger a request to top-up - unless the other person has set up a divert on their phone to divert your number to the top-up line, for a laugh wink

Message 5 of 7

Paddiewack
Level 4: Observant
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

There HAS to be an issue with the number you are calling it’s as simple as that. If you’re getting a network message asking you to top up it maybe your friend is abroad or in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man where calls are not included in your bundle (if you’ve purchased one) perhaps it’s diverted to a number in one of those locations. You say you can only get through by prefixing the number with 141 which I’m assuming withholds your number. This would only (as far as I’m aware) enable you to get through to your contact if he/she had blocked your number and withholding your number circumvents that blocking.
First stop for you to sort it is asking your friend what’s changed recently as regards their number.

Something will crop up that’s for sure.

Best of luck.

Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Any chargeable call diverts are paid for from the receiving number.

You can call a UK number anywhere in the world without being charged and if a divert is set from that number, it's charged to the recipient.

The fact that the call goes through OK if you withhold your number indicates an issue at the receivers end.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7