Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping my number to new sim

Chris87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been payasyougo for years with 02, my girlfriend has got me a contract phone with 02, she asked them to keep my old number but not to make the switch until Christmas. Low and behold my phone stopped working today. How long does it usually take for the number to switch to my new phone?

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris87 Once the old sim has turned off just keep rebooting the new phone/sim. 

Usually takes a couple of hours but upto 24 for everything to switch over. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Chris87 Once the old sim has turned off just keep rebooting the new phone/sim. 

Usually takes a couple of hours but upto 24 for everything to switch over. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

Chris87
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, very much appreciated. Sadly the new phone isn't in my possession as its a Christmas gift.lol

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Should connect first time you turn it on then slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Typhoon1944
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Slightly different question: My father in law had an accident with his handset so has bought a new one from Argos.  The old handset has a micro sim but the new one has a nano sim slot.  We have no way of trimming the old sim down to fit but it did come with a PAYG sim.  Is it possible to do a sim swap to convert the new SIM to the old number?  We tried on the phone last night but after receiving the text messages and entering the serial number we were told there was a problem.  We could go into store but don't relish the thought of having to drive 30 miles to the nearest O2 store on Christmas Eve.

Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Typhoon1944

If he bought a phone which came with a sim, I presume it was an O2 package?

If not.... you won't be able to do a sim swap.

If it is O2 then follow the advice here https://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

A community guide here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple/Sim-Swap-Nano-Micro-Mini-Sim/m-p/292218#U292218

However, if you are struggling then it would be a far quicker process to go instore and let them do it for you. It can be done in 10 minutes.

Other than that, he can keep the new sim and just inform people of a change of number?

Best of luck

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Typhoon1944 if the original SIM is also PAYG it shouldn't be a problem to SIM swap but a PAYG SIM cannot be used for a monthly contract, so the correct SIM will be required. 

Try the swap again this morning or call customer services on 4445 for help.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Typhoon1944
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for the replies. It was bought from Argos by my partner. The woman behind the counter said it came with a free sim so she took an O2 one but could just as easily have taken a different network as we didn't think it was going to be used. I'm not sure if that classes as an O2 bundle or not. Although he is out of contract he is still on a pay monthly tariff. Whilst I appreciate its a quick job to do in store, like I said, it's a 60 mile round trip in Christmas traffic to our nearest one, however, if its not possible to transfer an O2 PAYG sim to a Pay monthly one over the phone or via Web chat then needs must I suppose.
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You can call customer services on 202 and they will post out a new SIM with his details on it, but certainly a trip to a shop would get it done quicker.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9