cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordered a brand new phone - O2 sent me a damaged one and won't replace.

muffinthepuffin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I ordered a brand new Moto G5 on PAYG from the O2 online shop.  It arrived damaged (dent in the back and gap in the side as it does not close properly - see photos).  I took the phone into an O2 shop who refused to deal with me and just phoned O2 and passed me the phone.  After spending /wasting 40 minutes on the phone to customer services they said I have to send the phone in for repairs and may have to pay for repairs.  Surely when ordering a brand new phone, expecting to get a new (undamaged) phone is not unreasonable.  And why should I have to pay for repairs!!  _4210917.JPG_4210917.JPG 

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149598 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@muffinthepuffin You need to make a complaint.

Use Resolver off this link https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 149598 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions

@muffinthepuffin You need to make a complaint.

Use Resolver off this link https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 94097 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You do not have to send it for repairs. Return the phone and either get it replaced or our money back. Phone and speak to someone else. You have a 14 day change of mind period or a 30 day if faulty goods.

Returns policy :

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-returns-and-repairs-policy

Contact us

Message 3 of 16

muffinthepuffin
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I will try Resolver (although I used them for an amazon complaint (failure to deliver item) and they were useless - only response I got from amazon was a reply saying "there is no customer account with this email address so we will not respond any further" - so despite attaching screenshots showing orders from amazon from that email address for over 10 years, I got no further repsonse and lost nearly £500.  

The problem is the phone was ordered on 5th December but only arrived around the 21st/22nd I think. Opened box but did not really look at it or use it as too busy over Xmas/New Year.  Only reason for getting phone was no space on old one for apps I needed to use while away.  Just before going away in mid January I charged the phone so I could take it with me but it would not switch on. So I left it behind and took my old phone. 

Got back after 2 weeks away and a few days later there was a problem with the flat and flooding neighbours flat downstairs, then landlord said was selling house so gave me notice to quit, then was away 3 weeks (outside UK) for work and so only managed to go to the O2 shop when I got back the second time, which by then was middle of March.  With everything esle going on and not being in the country for most of Jan and Feb and half of March sorting out the phone was hardly my number one priority.  Did manage to get the phone to switch on finally, so have been using it as had to sell loads of stuff on gumtree, find somewhere else to live, arrange storage, removals, etc etc       

Message 4 of 16

jonsie
  • 94097 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You didn't say it was 4 months ago. Go down the complaint route but I wish you luck. You should have checked it back in December so I very much doubt you getting anywhere with this now.Sorry.

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 149598 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
The timescales make this less than straightforward unfortunately but try Resolver anyway as we find they get the best response out of O2.
Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 126098 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

I also have doubts you will get anywhere with this @muffinthepuffin.

You bought the phone 4 months ago and admit you have used it to sell stuff etc etc

You will have to prove that it wasn't you who damaged it. Very difficult given the length of time it's been in your possession.

As suggested above, go down the complaints route, though I'm honestly not hopeful of a positive outcome.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

They obviously are right in saying that you need to send it in for repairs after 4 months but they weren’t to know that you didn’t think about it until now

Message 8 of 16

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Unsure but is there any way phone would say when @muffinthepuffin first started using the phone ?

This may help in trying to get help 

Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 149598 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
O2 will be able to see the first time the imei number registered on the system.
Message 10 of 16