Did you mean: 

Internet settings for ancient Sony Ericsson J105

KeefyW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Folks. Could someone help me please.

I have recently resurrected my old Sony Ericsson. It does everything I need but something appears to have killed my internet access. Does anyone know the settings ?

The ones I have got in and am sure are right are in blue. The ones I'm not sure about (most of them) in red.

APN - payandgo.o2.co.uk

Username - payandgo

Password - password

Login request - off

IP address - (empty field)

DNS address (empty field)

Authentication - none

Data compression - off

Header compr. - off

Proxy settings - On, Multiple

o2 site not helpful for non smart phones.

Please help. It used to work and I have no idea what I did to wreck it. Thanks folks.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

KeefyW
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. I'll try the new apn method. There is no option to manage the certificates. Some have expired and some are still valid but the only options are to change their status between active and not active.

Je me demande - pourquoi je fais tant d'efforts pour ressusciter un téléphone que la plupart des gens aurait jeté. nerd

Cheers - Keith

Message 11 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
valeur sentimentale
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 17

KeefyW
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @MI5 . Apologies for delayed reply. I thought I had done so but just checked in for something else and found I hadn't. If there was a drafts mailbox I expect it would be in there like all those emails where one forgets to click the send button.

No joy I am afraid. Tried setting up a new account from scratch. I remain highly suspicious it's a security certificate issue as some have expired and others still valid which might explain why I can access some URLs and not others.

I cana find no info about updating them. I guess I will just have to live with it. Shame.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Appreciated. Kind regards - Keith

Message 13 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Certificates should download and update automatically @KeefyW 

Hopefuly it will fix itself at some point.........

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 17

KeefyW
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5, that's what I would have guessed should happen. When I am listening to the TV/radio/HiFi my phone regularly sends out some sort of (strong) signal (and by regularly, I mean several times a day, usually in bursts of three or four ~1 minute periods). It canes the battery too. No calls or SMS received, just transmitting activity. Also I disabled my email accounts so it isn't that... ??? WTF is it ?

I wonder if it's trying to grab new certificates from somewhere ?

I truly doubt I will ever know. Built in obsolescence is a curse of modern industrialism,  stopping old gits like me trying to keep old devices going on forever.

Thanks again for replying - Keith

Message 15 of 17

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

It could be anything the phone is trying to contact or register to @KeefyW 

It may even be a server that doesn't exist anymore.

If it still does it with data turned off it will just be the radio checking in with the network, but if it's a data driven request, it could be anything.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 17

KeefyW
  • 22 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5Hi. I have created a blank Internet settings account (called None) with nothing entered into any field and set the phone to use that. It no longer flattens my battery searching for stuff that probably no longer exists and I can listen to my wireless headphones without being interupted by that pesky buzzing.

Cheers !

Message 17 of 17