cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic pay as you go - £1 minimum www charge?

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, been a while since I posted so hello again from Northern Ireland.

A family member has had the same O2 PAYG SIM/number since around year 2000. It was still on a legacy account with relatively expensive calls + txts and whenever he used it to go online there was a minimum £1 daily charge.

Today he called into an O2 shop and got a nano SIM (For a new phone) and changed over to a Classic PAYG 3/2/1 SIM. The new SIM became active after an hour or so but when he went online to test it he says he was warned of a £1 daily charge for this (And he was charged £1). I can't see any mention of this charge anywhere. He did transfer over a small balance and topped up by £10.

Anyone know how this Classic works, I'd have though it was simply just 3p min, 2p text and 1p MB the same as Three?

Regards

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Charging according to the t&c

1p per MB within our Europe Zone with no data cap. Your data use will be calculated every time a data session ends or every 20MB whichever happens first. There is a minimum charge of 1p per data session, however short. The charge for each data session will be rounded up to the nearest whole penny.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/classic-pay-as-you-go-terms-and-conditions

If it is not working like that I would check tariff change is completed and get the charging clarified for the classic payg 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It would seem the new tariff hasn't kicked in yet as the change is normally done at midnight unless the legacy tariff required a minimum top up each month when the change would be on the next anniversary. Best bet is to contact customer service for verification and I'm sure a sympathetic adviser would refund the £1.

Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What usually happens on this tariff is that £1 is taken at the start of the first data session for the day. Then it is adjusted when the user stops using the data and the amount unused from the £1 is refunded to the account.
If they check their balance later on it should be corrected for the amount of data used at 1p per mb
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Charging according to the t&c

1p per MB within our Europe Zone with no data cap. Your data use will be calculated every time a data session ends or every 20MB whichever happens first. There is a minimum charge of 1p per data session, however short. The charge for each data session will be rounded up to the nearest whole penny.

https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/classic-pay-as-you-go-terms-and-conditions

If it is not working like that I would check tariff change is completed and get the charging clarified for the classic payg 

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 12

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for all the replies, I'll check with him later today to see if any of his £1 was refunded (Not worried about £1, but a £1 every day would be an issue!)

Hopefully things have settled down from midnight last night and it works as expected.

Message 5 of 12

ChrisAO
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Before I migrated to Classic PAYG, this "£1 a day" data charge was mentioned by a member of staff in my local O2 (franchise I discovered) shop. I didn't find that amusing as I'd already thoroughly read all the Ts&Cs. Although I haven't used any data yet, the Ts&Cs are clear as mentioned here. When I went back to the shop to mention this, the conclusion was that people who'd mentioned this in the shop could have left their data turned on and things like automatic updates etc were happing in the background.

The implication is that there is a daily limit of £1 charged for data usage. I don't recall that being mentioned in the Ts&Cs but does anyone know if that is the case please?

Regards.

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, not on the classic PAYG tariff.
It's 1p per mb for data but £1 may be taken up front and refunded later as explained above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It seems a stupid way to do things but this is O2 we are talking about. Shame they didn't think to mention this in the terms!

Message 8 of 12

ChrisAO
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks to both for replies.

@jonsie not only do I agree with you, but it's a bit more than a shame as that's not what the Ts&Cs say, so if I find out in due course that's the way it works, O2 will get a bit more than a rocket from me! It will also influence me as to whether I PAC out again. O2 is not the only option to me - that will be a shame because they hadn't been an option previously due to poor signal but a new cell has changed that.

I do know one MVNO that operates in a similar manner but it's only 25p and the balance is refunded immediately and they don't round up the charge to a full 1Mb either! Not that it makes that an acceptable practice though.

Message 9 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie Unfortunately my classic sim is in a non data phone maybe try it in my iPhone later to see what happens 

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 12