Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic Payg sim

GaryMalc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am approaching 6 months on the Classic Payg sim and only make the occasional call and text. Still have 0ver £7 of my original £10 left on my account. Do I really need to top up £10 every 6 months to keep my number as I will end up accumulating a lot of cash on it I will simply never use?

Classic Pay As You Go

When you join Classic Pay As You Go, you pay for what you use, as you go. The minimum top up requirement is £10.

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@GaryMalc 

No need to top up every 6 months.

A call or text at least once every 6 months is sufficient to keep sim active.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@GaryMalc 

No need to top up every 6 months.

A call or text at least once every 6 months is sufficient to keep sim active.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

GaryMalc
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated 👍

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No problem slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

PennyR
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you so much for the information, much appreciated.

Penny
Message 5 of 10

GillM
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Dear MI5

I certainly respect your credentials as a knowledgeable customer! But as GaryMalc says, on this O2 web page https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go it clearly states "If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account." However, this is the only place I can see this statement. It doesn't say so on the T&C page https://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/archive/mobile/classic-pay-as-you-go-terms-and-conditions and it doesn't say so on the SIM packaging. I fully accept having to make a chargeable call or text every 6 months. I am just hoping you are right as I don't want a fight with O2 in a couple of months!

I am posting this in the Community Forum as I don't want to take up customer service's time while COVID-19 is putting such a strain on everything.

Gill

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@GillM 

Since this thread started we have heard some reports (not substantiated) that a chargeable call or text is now required every 3 months, so for safety, I would adopt that approach for the time being.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

GillM
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ooh, that's cheeky if it's true! That not what the O2 web pages are saying today, though. I would have thought that legally they would have to stick to the T's and C's at the time of purchase, but will follow your advice anyway. It's not so much having to do it as having to remember to do it.

Oh, and by the way I have read elsewhere on the forum that texts don't count, it has to be chargeable phone calls. It just says "chargeable activity" on my SIM packaging.

Message 8 of 10

California
  • 5 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@GillM 

Since this thread started we have heard some reports (not substantiated) that a chargeable call or text is now required every 3 months, so for safety, I would adopt that approach for the time being.

Do the data charges count for this purpose? Or only the call and text charges?
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143421 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Data is chargeable on the classic tariff so counts.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10