cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back in the USA - one phone has gone from my account in the last few days!

Mark-USA
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK, I live in the USA. I keep two UK PAYG O2 phones (mine and wife's) for use when there. I'm aware of the 6 month rule and go to lengths to make sure I send a paid txt from one phone to the other and vice versa within this period to make sure I don't lose the balance and we keep our UK numbers active. I often check MyO2 to ensure all is well, which it was, until I logged on today - and my wife's phone number was gone - presumably taking her balance with it.

So, I was in the UK in October, a few weeks ago, and obviously made sure there was paid activity on my wife's line and mine, and I used my personal one extensively. Mine still shows up - hers does not (she wasn't on this trip). I did add some £'s to my line but not hers as she didn't need it. Both lines showed up a week or so ago with a balance when I checked, now just mine shows on the account. Clearly something has happened that I don't know about.

Both phones were powered down at Heathrow (after setting to Airplane mode) just before my return flights so I can't see how there would be any use to drain either balance to zero. The only difference is I added some time to mine but if there's a new rule about having to do this, I'm unaware and I can see my line going off too as I will not be back in the UK in the next 6 months.

Anyone got any clues? Help!!!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6168 Posts
  • 107 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Mark-USA 

I'm glad your credit has re-appeared. 

Home sounds fabulous on the edge of a ravine. 

Please keep us updated as to how your get on with O2. 

Message 11 of 32

Mark-USA
  • 17 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK, found a spot with solid enough signal strength. Now, despite following the instructions for the USA and 4G requirements (my phones are capable), it appears I can't roam (I should have guessed as not even the usual Welcome txt with USA rates got sent - I'd put that down to bad signal - apparently not). So, I guess more time on the phone tomorrow will have to happen. This is a 2023 change it seems. Frustrating...

Message 12 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You now need 4G calling to use O2 in the US

Unfortunately this isn't available on O2's PAYG

Might be time to forget O2

USA - Roaming with O2 

Message 13 of 32

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6735 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1509 Solutions

O2 PAYG is fine price wise for use in the USA but the lack of 4G Calling renders them almost useless from a voice point of view.

O2 are not starting to wind down 3G in the UK till 2025 only at that point will they have to offer 4G Calling.

As well as the USA there are now 9 EU countries and rising where PAYG customers will have problems! 

O2 are still including those countries in the list of roaming destinations for their PAYG service.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 14 of 32

Mark-USA
  • 17 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi Jonsie and Enlli. Well that truly sucks for me. O2 PAYG was a great solution for US expat with annual UK returns. I'll have to try using a little data or txt to be charged a little so maybe I can limp thru with enough activity to not get cancelled, perhaps calling to get reinstated periodically, until my next visit, then do my best to run down the balance before abandoning. I certainly won't go to any lengths to top up as it seems that would be throwing money away if I can't make the 'keep alive' call it seems I'm required to do now anyway.

What a shame. I've kept our O2 lines alive for nearly 5 years. 

I'll make one last call to customer service to ask if there's any workaround. Oh well..

Message 15 of 32

Enlli
  • 6735 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1509 Solutions

@Mark-USA  There will be a chance that O2 will open up 4G Calling before 2025 (maybe this time next year) as the phase out their own 3G in 2025. The last of the UK networks to do so.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 16 of 32

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

@Mark-USA 

According to their website, T-Mobile are still running a 2g network, so if you can select 2g in your network settings you will be able to make calls.

T-Mobile network | T-Mobile Support

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 32

Enlli
  • 6735 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1509 Solutions

However, T-Mobile 2G is on the way out and not long to go

https://www.particle.io/blog/t-mobile-sunset-2g/#:~:text=March%2030%2C%202023-,T%2DMobile%20will%20s....

Message 18 of 32

MI5
  • 144828 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27772 Solutions

Maybe so, but currently operational and it might be around long enough for O2 to get there act together on 4g calling.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 32

Mark-USA
  • 17 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi All,

Very good discussion points and sage thoughts.

I just called Customer Service. I have to say I do appreciate the fact I can actually reach a real person quite easily so good for them; anyway the gal I spoke to said that there had been a number of complaints from customers about this and she did say that O2 techs are working on the problem. She also confirmed I could add a top up through calling CS (a coupon number I can get through the service jonsie helpfully posted).

I did get another interpretation on the deactivation rule though - she though that you'd have about a year without call activity before getting deactivated, but, like the others, said it shouldn't be a problem to get reactivated and any balances restored by a phone call. 

Oddly enough, this would actually fit my observed prior pattern of use. My phone was used in the UK with an 11 month call interval. My wife's phone was turned off pretty much at the 12 month no-call point, despite both being used to txt back and forth every 5 months or so. I guess it's fair to say that the reps are very unclear on the rules so not a lot of help there. The only thing I think I can take to the bank is that they're easy enough to get hold of on my timezone, and they are very helpful and responsive to reinstate any lost phone lines - I will have to put a reminder on my calendar to check MyO2 status every few weeks.

I do intend to try the temporary 2G thing soon and I'll post results. Even if it gets me thru this year and is a bit clunky, that would be OK for the short term as I really only need to call to keep a phone alive; I don't depend on it in the USA, unlike the many PAYG O2 customers on holiday in the USA who would have bigger issues. If the 2G idea works, I'll post it here.

Anyway, thanks to all for the excellent suggestions and facts.

Message 20 of 32